FYI for those on mobile this is in the caesareans area
I am just thinking about birth for my second (which could be a long way off! DD is only 5mos old and NO talk of a second, but I like to be prepared!)
The recovery from my first was so awful that I DO NOT want to birth vaginally again. I could not stand up until 6-8w pp. Even now I can't stand for longer than 15m without feeling like my insides are going to fall out.
BUT I know the benefits of going into labour for the baby, i.e. lungs & knowing baby is ready to be born.
I know that if bubs is engaged & into the birth canal enough forceps will have to be used (it was a possibility for my first)
So is there a chance this can happen? Can I wait until I am 3cms then have a C/S?
TIA for your answers
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
18-06-2012 10:31 #1
Is it possible to wait til I go into labour to then have a planned c/s?
18-06-2012 10:39 #2Child led parent here...save me :)
- Join Date
- Feb 2010
There is no reason why you couldn't wait but it would really be up to your hospital I suppose because it would be an 'emergency' vs 'planned' and you never know what could happen, you might go from 0-10 very quickly...I guess it is just something you would have to dicuss with your OB. You should have the right to do whatever you want!
18-06-2012 10:54 #3
I think it would depend in your OB and hospital. Mine were happy for me to do that, but I ended up booking in so I knew when DS needed to be looked after, and because the hospital is an hour away.
18-06-2012 10:55 #4
I would VB in a heartbeat if I can be guaranteed I won't have the same birth
18-06-2012 11:00 #5
I Doubt very much that your ob would agree to it, simply because you could go in to labour at midnight or 3am. They won't have the theatre staff there on site just in case and I doubt they'd call them in unless it was an emergency.
Definitely raise it with your ob at the time though if you don't ask, then the answer is definitely a no.
ETA - DS1s birth was very traumatic
For me. He was very nearly an only child for that reason. But DS2s birth was awesome!!! There was no way in hell I was having my power taken from me the second time around and I really stood up for myself. I firmly believe that my birth trauma was due to mismanagement and I made sure I was in control the second time.
Last edited by HugsBunny; 18-06-2012 at 11:03.
18-06-2012 11:04 #6
I had the same feeling after birthing ds would even get those same aches during af. Did not have the same after dd.
Sent from my GT-N7000B using BubHub
18-06-2012 12:06 #7
You should see a continence physio if you had feelings like you describe. It doesn't have to be that way.
A planned c-section is during the day, nice & calm and relaxed with a planned Ob, planned Paediatrician and planned Anaesthetist who puts in the necessary epidural/etc into a woman who is able to be still and not in labour. There's no urgency and there's also a reduced risk of complications to the mother & child than an emergency c-section. An emergency c-section can be super urgent (eg. baby's heart beat very low) or quite urgent (mother in labour, already 8cm, has had 3 previous c-sections) ... or in the case you are proposing not quite so urgent (in labour, 3cm already, no previous c-section). BUT, every labour is different. Lots of women are 3cm by 37 weeks and not in labour. Or they come in after an hour of pain and are already 8cm dilated. I know with my 2nd I went from 2cm to fully dilated in only 2 hours (I was induced, but didn't need the drip, just had my waters broken). So, if you went into labour at 10pm at night it would be a big rush to the hospital, calling in 3 different doctors and getting a theatre all up & running in the middle of the night for what would be classed as an emergency c-section. So, no, I think it's planned c-section or planned VB as your options.
18-06-2012 12:13 #8
I was supposed to have a planned c-section as my DD was breech. I was so stubborn and refused to believe that with my hard work and perseverance that she wouldn't turn so I refused to book in the date of my c-section. I went into spontaneous labour at 38+2 and because labour had started it was an emergency c-section. So I think you either have to go planned or it becomes an emergency. I got to 7cms dilated and she still wouldn't turn so I admitted defeat and went in for the emergency c-section.
ETA: because it was an emergency on a sunday I didn't have my own OB and my anaesthetist was more expensive because it was a sunday and therefore "out of hours" so it can be more expensive and really not go the way you want in terms of your medical people etc.
18-06-2012 12:13 #9
Shapland Swim SchoolsSemi private learn to swim classes for a maximum of 3 children in specialized heated teaching pools. Our swim schools ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Things your pets have eaten and shouldn't haveGeneral Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
IVF/FET April & May chatConception & Fertility General Chat
changes to child care benefitChildcare Options
IVF Babies due August/Sept/Oct' 16 #4pregnancy and babies through IVF
what method do you use to track your financesFamily Finances
April/May TTC group chatConception & Fertility General Chat
Egg Donation in South Africa #14Egg Donation
Local Infant Adoption in VictoriaAdoption / Surrogacy
Having a tough time with the dad... Does it get any easier?Pregnancy & Birth General Chat