+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Much like public floggings being an acceptable punishment for adults.

We stopped punishing adults like this and now find it abhorrent, the same will happen with smacking, it's just frustrating it has taken this long.
    exactly!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    also if you swap child for wife in the reasons and justification for smacking it starts to sound a little frightening.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuchsia! View Post
    Well then thats a tap, not a smack. I still can't understand how that would even work, if i tapped my child without hurting them, they would think i was playing with them or look at me stupid wondering why i was tapping them.

I actually tapped my son then and he asked what i was doing. It didn't startle him or stop him from doing anything.

Ulysses- You made some excellent points, and comparing it to smoking is a good analogy actually.

How many non smokers say "I don't smoke because i may get cancer" You might not, or you may.

Perhaps you could think of smacking in the same light, Why would you risk the possible emotional trauma and risks asscociated with smacking?

There has been numerous people explaining how it has affected them and how much trauma it caused them, there are even studies now explaining the risks of mental health problems and many other risks.

Why would you risk it all?

My brother and i were smacked, it soon escalated to abuse, he doesn't see it as abuse and belts his daughter, he sees it as perfect discpline. Me on the other hand has spent a few years in therapy trying to overcome it, it affected a lot of my area life as well. I suffer horribly now as an adult.

Its hit or miss, but if you know that smacking MAY or heightens the risk of damage later on in life, why would you do it?

Would you put your child in a car without a car seat? I mean the chances of actually crashing are quite slim, but you do it to protect your child from harm.

I don't understand how people are willingly doing something that they know has the potential to harm their child for life, or they are ignoring the numerous stories of people who had suffered?
    You don't have to understand how my child's brain works. That's my job. Your job is to work out your own kids. And it has already been decided on here that a tap still constitutes a smack.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also find it amusing that some people who have a go at people like myself have admitted to smacking their BABY out of anger or frustration or because they got a fright.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Also find it amusing that some people who have a go at people like myself have admitted to smacking their BABY out of anger or frustration or because they got a fright.
    I mentioned baby because I have heard people here say their baby was 'naughty' so they smacked him or her. I'm talking months old, not years.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive just had my extended inlaws staying here for a month. They are from a developing country. Aunty took me aside and told me how scared she had been, that I was like 'those' western parents who lock their babies away in a room, hit and yell at them, and do it all 'for thier own good'
    They were thrilled that we parent 'normally' and gentle guide and nurture our children. People wouldnt dream of yelling at a child, let alone striking one, back home. Yes they have the village, so when its hard to cope theres someone to help, but when many people dont have electricity or running water it was ironic that they judge the more 'civilised' nations' parenting

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (19-06-2012),Me&MrMagoo  (19-06-2012),MissMuppet  (19-06-2012),wrena  (19-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I mentioned baby because I have heard people here say their baby was 'naughty' so they smacked him or her. I'm talking months old, not years.
    Yes but a few people have posted that they don't smack, then say they have give a smack for crawling to a power point at 7 months because they can't understand talking, or they smacked a 1yo for hurting them in some way, or a 2yo because they were frustrated at the child's behaviour. As if that's acceptable and tapping a child over 3 for getting out of the carseat in heavy rain and heavy traffic and grinning at me for saying to put it back on, it's unsafe. When we came to a standstill, I reached back and tapped her hand, yes a tap on the hand from the driver seat to the carseat on the opposite side. I could not have hit hard if I wanted to, yelling would have sent her into a meltdown so I did what it took to get her to sit back properly. But no, that is faaar worse than a tap on the hand of an infant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Yes but a few people have posted that they don't smack, then say they have give a smack for crawling to a power point at 7 months because they can't understand talking, or they smacked a 1yo for hurting them in some way, or a 2yo because they were frustrated at the child's behaviour. As if that's acceptable and tapping a child over 3 for getting out of the carseat in heavy rain and heavy traffic and grinning at me for saying to put it back on, it's unsafe. When we came to a standstill, I reached back and tapped her hand, yes a tap on the hand from the driver seat to the carseat on the opposite side. I could not have hit hard if I wanted to, yelling would have sent her into a meltdown so I did what it took to get her to sit back properly. But no, that is faaar worse than a tap on the hand of an infant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    See, I don't really think either is desirable but I do agree, the baby one is worse. What's wrong with power point covers? Or just removing the baby?

Heck, my DS used to be into all sorts of things. If I struck him every time he did something he shouldn't I'd be smacking him all day and night. I simply removed him from dangerous situations or situations where he'd break my belongings.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive just had my extended inlaws staying here for a month. They are from a developing country. Aunty took me aside and told me how scared she had been, that I was like 'those' western parents who lock their babies away in a room, hit and yell at them, and do it all 'for thier own good'
    They were thrilled that we parent 'normally' and gentle guide and nurture our children. People wouldnt dream of yelling at a child, let alone striking one, back home. Yes they have the village, so when its hard to cope theres someone to help, but when many people dont have electricity or running water it was ironic that they judge the more 'civilised' nations' parenting

12. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

austmum  (19-06-2012)