+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Questions about studying with kids

How do/did you manage school drop offs and pick ups when you were studying? How did it fit in with your uni timetable?

I'm looking at starting BMid/BNursing next year here in Melbourne (will apply to LaTrobe and Deakin as first preferences). DD will be about 16 months old or so when I start, and DS will be in Prep at school. DD of course will go into childcare, most likely at the university. DS will go to our local primary school, and I am guessing that some days he will need to go into before/after school care.

How did/do others find it? What was/is your timetable like? What time did/do you start and finish uni each day?

Also, how did you organise yourself with chores like cleaning and cooking? I'm guessing I'm going to have to get a bit more organised than I am now and do meal planning and so forth. Would be great to hear your secrets to making it all go smoothly.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't do Uni but 3 days a week I study out of the home from 8.30 until 4.30. Due to travel, I drop dd off at daycare about 6.45am and pick her up about 6.05pm. Shes in grade 1 at school. Obviously this means I need a daycare with 6.30 to 6.30 hours.

It's a massive day for her but it's what we have to do. It's not forever.

With Uni you may be able to pick lectures and tutorials that are between school hours only if you're lucky. If not then your children will just have to learn to manage.

I do really easy dinners on these nights because obviously I don't have much time between getting home and her bed time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    How does she get to school from daycare?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You may be able to do some subjects external and some on campus.

I do all mine external so it is all done online whenever I get the time to do it. I know some university's do nursing externally and you go on campus for blocks of a week every semester or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    After enrolment day and the stress of the drive...! I transferred all off campus. I am doing 2 units and have 9-5 on Tuesdays (babies in daycare and DS in after school care) and 9-12 on Wednesdays (occasional care) to do all my study etc. Exams and the week before and assignment is due DH usually takes all the kids all weekend! I can't work at nights as I'm too tired! I absolutely love it and it's SO hard but I've got great results. I could never ever have done it on campus... But that's just me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I LOVE off campus. I have a weekend workshop at the start of each semester and met everyone. We set up study groups through the uni website and Facebook and it's so supportive! Love it. Lots of communication and exchanging of ideas and notes....all done in my slippers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    How does she get to school from daycare?
    They take her there.

The daycare I chose is actually right next to the school albeit at the other end to all the buildings... so basically, they just walk her to school. They have kids from others schools though, and they have a little bus they use to transport them all to and from.

Of an afternoon, they pick her up (there's a spot where they wait... I believe for preps though, they actually go get them from their individual classrooms). If they get to school and she's not there, they'll ring me to check if she's even going to daycare that day. That's only happened once, when I forgot to inform daycare that she was ill... so she was at home with me.

They're there before the bell in our case.

The same bus transports them around during Vacation Care when they're doing out of centre activities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    They take her there.

The daycare I chose is actually right next to the school albeit at the other end to all the buildings... so basically, they just walk her to school. They have kids from others schools though, and they have a little bus they use to transport them all to and from.

Of an afternoon, they pick her up (there's a spot where they wait... I believe for preps though, they actually go get them from their individual classrooms). If they get to school and she's not there, they'll ring me to check if she's even going to daycare that day. That's only happened once, when I forgot to inform daycare that she was ill... so she was at home with me.

They're there before the bell in our case.

The same bus transports them around during Vacation Care when they're doing out of centre activities.
    Ah, ok. DS's kinder has that sort of thing with the occasional care centre across the park (not that it's relevant to next year as he'll be in school).

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    See if the school has an out of hours school care, or if there is one that parents from the school he is going to use.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    See if the school has an out of hours school care, or if there is one that parents from the school he is going to use.
    Will do