+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Grumpy Newborn

Please help my sanity!

My little man is only 2 weeks old... the first week we had a big problem with constipation and he screemed for days and days - we have that sorted now...

However, when he's awake he's rarely content... he sleeps great, once he's asleep he'll sleep for hours, so it's not like it pain or hunger... and it's not colic cause a colic baby will rarely/never settle....

but if having a bottle doesn't make him sleepy and go to sleep straight away and he stays awake for a little while, he is so hard to settle and get to sleep... no matter if we hold him, lay down with him, pat him, rock him, bath him, etc etc... it's to the point where i've had to just leave him cry for a few minutes at a time cause i'm in tears trying to settle him to sleep... (i know that sounds horrible, i don't need to be judged!)

I know babies cry, i don't have a problem with crying... but he can never just lay in bed or lay next to me or be cuddled or pat etc without screeming! it's like he can't be content.... he might stop for a few minutes, then when he's just about asleep he'll start again.... it's like he's fighting sleep!?!... but as i said, when he's asleep he'll sleep for hours!!

I just don't know what else to do with him... i don't understand how a 2 week old baby can be so stressed and we try everything and nothing works....

Is it possible for a newborn to just be unsettled all the time or does there HAVE to be a reason for his screeming? He's not hot/cold, he's been checked by the doctor (no ear infections etc) he's not hungry and i'm pretty confident he's not in pain... so what else could it be?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry but I'm probably not going to be much help. DS2 was like that for weeks, just an unhappy boy. He's 3 months old now and much happier.

For him we realised he wanted movement - he liked being carried around, in arms or carrier, or be in a swing. I don't know why he was so unhappy and cried so much, I guess I'll never know. My theory is that it just took him time to get used to the world. He was in a womb for 9 months - always perfect temp, never hungry, never in his poop/pee, never having bright lights or people he doesn't know trying to touch him, and maybe all these bodily feelings made him uncomfortable even if he wasn't in pain (which I don't think he was in).

No idea. I think some babies are just like that. It was a shock to us, because DS1 was such a happy baby, then DS2 was the opposite. Never happy, didn't socially smile till 6-7 weeks, never happy to just lie next to us and cuddle... But now he's a very smiley happy baby.

So hang on and just try and find things that will help him be happier - different things work for different babies. And remember that this too shall pass :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi!

Could he be overtired maybe?? Is he formula fed?

To you, i know how stressful it can be! X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandnewbeginnings View Post
    Hi!

Could he be overtired maybe?? Is he formula fed?

To you, i know how stressful it can be! X

He's formula fed, we thought that was the problem with the constipation last week, however it all seems to be OK now, he has a dirty nappy every couple of days.
    If he doesn't go to sleep straight after a bottle it will take about 2 hours to get him to sleep and he screems most of that time... he's pretty good at waking at the time for his next feed... and at night he'll usually sleep for 4-5 hours at a time...
    It usually alternates - he'll feed, be awake screeming for 2 hours, go to sleep and then wake for his next feed which will then totally knock him out and he'll then sleep right through til his next feed.... it's just the time he's awake, he just won't settle...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Which formula is he on? I know a few babies have problems with s26 gold.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    He's formula fed, we thought that was the problem with the constipation last week, however it all seems to be OK now, he has a dirty nappy every couple of days.
    If he doesn't go to sleep straight after a bottle it will take about 2 hours to get him to sleep and he screems most of that time... he's pretty good at waking at the time for his next feed... and at night he'll usually sleep for 4-5 hours at a time...
    It usually alternates - he'll feed, be awake screeming for 2 hours, go to sleep and then wake for his next feed which will then totally knock him out and he'll then sleep right through til his next feed.... it's just the time he's awake, he just won't settle...

Tbh i think it might be that he is overtired. I found when my little man was up for more than 30 mins at that age he would get extremely grumpy. He would just feed, sleep feed sleep though.
    My little one is almost 6 months and he cant stay up any longer than 2 hours or he gets ovetired. I believe that is the right amount of time for his age.

How do you usually get him to sleep ? xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    Which formula is he on? I know a few babies have problems with s26 gold.
    yeah he's on s26 gold... we thought that was the problem last week with his constipation, but that seems to be OK now... do you think it could be the formula? as i said, he sleeps fine, normal poos, it's just when he's awake - he's just so grumpy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    And yes, which formula is he on? My DS was on s26 gold after 5 weeks. He was originally breastfed. The s26 made him incredibly constipated and VERY VERY windy and upset tummy from it. Its horrid stuff. I feel guilty nowdays that i didnt click fast enough that he could have been the formula. He use to pull his legs up, grunt, cry, scream. once we changed the formula he was a different baby!
    Maybe thats worth a try too??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Please help my sanity!

My little man is only 2 weeks old... the first week we had a big problem with constipation and he screemed for days and days - we have that sorted now...

However, when he's awake he's rarely content... he sleeps great, once he's asleep he'll sleep for hours, so it's not like it pain or hunger... and it's not colic cause a colic baby will rarely/never settle....

but if having a bottle doesn't make him sleepy and go to sleep straight away and he stays awake for a little while, he is so hard to settle and get to sleep... no matter if we hold him, lay down with him, pat him, rock him, bath him, etc etc... it's to the point where i've had to just leave him cry for a few minutes at a time cause i'm in tears trying to settle him to sleep... (i know that sounds horrible, i don't need to be judged!)

I know babies cry, i don't have a problem with crying... but he can never just lay in bed or lay next to me or be cuddled or pat etc without screeming! it's like he can't be content.... he might stop for a few minutes, then when he's just about asleep he'll start again.... it's like he's fighting sleep!?!... but as i said, when he's asleep he'll sleep for hours!!

I just don't know what else to do with him... i don't understand how a 2 week old baby can be so stressed and we try everything and nothing works....

Is it possible for a newborn to just be unsettled all the time or does there HAVE to be a reason for his screeming? He's not hot/cold, he's been checked by the doctor (no ear infections etc) he's not hungry and i'm pretty confident he's not in pain... so what else could it be?
    First of all your not horrible for putting him down to cry when you need a bit of a time out ... Becoming a new mum is wearing and it sounds like you are doing the best thing for him in that case.

Could he have a sore tummy?? Is itthe formula??

Both my kids saw a childrens chiro - ds had bad colic and it turns out his neck was slightly out made a huge difference. Dd had severe reflux it never really helped that but one of her arms wasn't in the shoulder socket properly (not quite dislocated) so she was actually I. A lot of pain. It was never suggested or her shoulder was never checked by a doc we only went because I felt something wasn't quite right with her arm and id had the prev exp with ds

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandnewbeginnings View Post
    Tbh i think it might be that he is overtired. I found when my little man was up for more than 30 mins at that age he would get extremely grumpy. He would just feed, sleep feed sleep though.
    My little one is almost 6 months and he cant stay up any longer than 2 hours or he gets ovetired. I believe that is the right amount of time for his age.

How do you usually get him to sleep ? xx
    We try everything, rocking, patting, walking around, giving him a bath first.... wrapping him up and just putting him in bed - which is usually where the controlled crying comes in (although i know he's to young, but i'm running out of ideas!!) and i'll go in and pick him up and cuddle him then when he settles lay him back down, give him his dummy, turn on his music and he lays there quiet for a few minutes then starts screeming again! it doesn matter if he's laying on his own or being held, he will get to the point of passing out and then stir and start screeming...