+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've been with dp over 16 years, engaged for 7 of those, but I doubt we'll ever actually marry ( unless I wear him down 😁). He was my boyfriend then fiancĂ©e for a bit, now he's my husband ( partner sounds like we are same sex and we're not, so don't want anyone thinking we are!) After being together for so long it's just easier. I would even think about changing my surname to match his and our kids (as this is my main reason for wanting to marry these days). We moved continents together so I don't think it's the commitment thing that is the problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i think a partner is someone who you are in a defacto relationship with or are married

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I find it really weird when someone calls someone they have been dating for a few months their partner. Partner says to me someone who has made a commitment to you, live together, have joint finances, plans to marry or have children, knowing their address. If you were dating for 2-3 months and only see them weekly or less you've seen them less then 20 times (in real life, Facebook chat doesn't count), I see my personal trainer weekly and she's not my life partner.

To me the term partner is someone you seriously see yourself having a long time future with. Before that, you're dating, he's your boyfriend.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

delirium  (14-06-2012),Gracie's Mum  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think partner and husband are the same thing. As in partner in life. I don't like the term partner. I'd rather say boyfriend, fiancé then husband but really you wouldn't go around saying his title you would say his name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    I find it really weird when someone calls someone they have been dating for a few months their partner. Partner says to me someone who has made a commitment to you, live together, have joint finances, plans to marry or have children, knowing their address. If you were dating for 2-3 months and only see them weekly or less you've seen them less then 20 times (in real life, Facebook chat doesn't count), I see my personal trainer weekly and she's not my life partner.

To me the term partner is someone you seriously see yourself having a long time future with. Before that, you're dating, he's your boyfriend.
    Yeah my brother and his gf have been together 3 years, they were together 2 years before they moved in together and that didn't work out so after 8 months my brother moved out but they continued to see each other and had not broken up. My brother moved back last week after a car accident because her house has 2 stairs, his had 14 and he is non-weight bearing to 2 limbs, partial weight bearing to a 3rd. They still say bf/gf not partner. Maybe once they live together a while or something they might. But not yet, it doesn't feel right and it would seem strange since they haven't lived together much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me it was my age that determined it more, I felt silly saying boyfriend so started saying partner instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im finding it really curious peoples opinions on the girlfriend/boyfriend thing, ive honestly never associated it with age or even thought to before, everyone i know just says it lol how curious

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I still call my DP my boyfriend (to myself) because he hasn't proposed. To others I say partner if they are older than me and if they are younger I say he is my boyfriend.

We live together, have been together 4 yrs, share money/bills and have a son together and one on the way so I think once you are financially connected in something or you feel you are equally contributing to something then you are partners.

I should call him my partner always but some people think that means we are same sex so I don't. He is my partner though.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DP was my boyfriend still after living together for 6 years, and while i was pregnant with DS. Until one day some sales assistant came up to me and asked 'can I help you' while i was heavily pregnant and looking around the shop, and i responded 'oh I'm just looking for my boyfriend' and decided I was far too old for a boyfriend. I don't call him anything really now, I just refer to him by name. Very occasionally I'll call him either my partner or my husband. I wanted to call him my baby daddy but he was having none of it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me I call the boyfriend my partner when he moves in with me or when I move in with him.