+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Routine confession

I have to confess that I am terrible at sticking to a routine and I feel bad that I can't stick to it for DS. He gets all his feeds and changes but that's the only thing I seem to be able to stick to. Sometimes it makes me feel like a horrible mother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Is he still happy? At the end of the day that's all that matters. Not all kids/parents follow a routine. If he is happy then I wouldn't worry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Don't feel bad. Not everyone works well to a routine.

The only real routine we have is bath time..and even that can vary in time depending on the day. I don't have a strict routine for DS. I am going with the flow and it's working fine. He is a happy and healthy 5 month old, and I am much less stressed and more relaxed then if I was trying to follow a strict routine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't worry - I can't stick to one either. She seems happy enough though to go with the flow, a lot happier than when I was trying to get her to sleep when she wasn't ready etc.

Bedtime is the only routine we strictly have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Other than food and nappy changes what routines are you referring to lol?

Every day is different here sometime bed before lunch sometime lunch before bed. I'm hoping my son will be resilient to change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    we have never had a routine, apart from following our natural rhythms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    don't feel bad at all. i didn't do routine with my son (now 10yo, seems to have survived it relatively unscathed!) and my 8 month old girl just goes with the flow.
    i feed/fed them when they are hungry, change them when they are dirty, they sleep when they are tired.
    i personally think it makes it easier to be out and about, travel, they don't get upset when routines change etc.
    each child is different and as pp said, as long as they (and you) are happy do what is easiest for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've read somewhere that it's not so much the routine as the ritual or rhyme that benefits kids. I didn't grow up with a clock in the house & don't have one in my house (apart from hubby's bedside alarm clock) so I follow my babies cues & can almost tell time by them. I worried that too much routine would create an inflexible child that flipped out at slight routine deviations. So far so good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you know what? My son was such a tough little man to cajole to sleep in the first year or so, I really really tried to stick to a routine. Girls from mothers group had fantastic success with this and had bubs' who so much as looked at their cot and fell asleep for at least 2 sleep cycles!

My son just didn't want to sleep at that age and the various routines that I tried over fortnight or more stretches of time DIDN'T WORK! They just didn't. I wanted them to, but that made no difference! All that was achieved was me being even more stressed and pressured - one week at about 15 months he just seemed to get the hang of sleep. Nothing I did seemed to make a speck of difference to that occurring.

Please just enjoy yourself! If you're happy and you're little one is happy, fed, and relatively rested, don't stress!