+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Just turned 2 ditching the dummy

Hi

My we little baby has just turned 2 years old and tonight he was throwing his dummy out of his bed like it was a game crying then waiting til I'd walk in to give it back to him then he'd laugh.

So I decided it was crunch time :-S I have taken his dummy for good cold turkey.

I feel like a bad mummy! his little lips are quivering and he's asking in the most saddest poutiest voice "mummy, want dum dum"

I have had to put him back into bed so far more than 10 times i think he may finally b asleep touch wood!

I'm scared at how he is going to sleep tonight without it! I am pregnant with no 4 and husband works away. So it's tough on me too...

How did you ditch the dummy?

Anyone do it cold turkey like this?

And is it possible to have a newborn baby without a dummy? Id rather not give one to this next one but I just don't know if I would cope...

Any advice or feedback on this would be greatly appreciated! It gets no easier even the 3rd time around!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How is it going now?
    My DS turned 2 in April and still has him dummy (dar).
    He loves it so much but have started to say to him that he is a big boy now and will have to throw dar in the bin soon. We are going to do it when his eye teeth are through and its going to hurt us too. So sorry have no advise but was wanting to know how you went.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenfoot83 View Post
    How is it going now?
    My DS turned 2 in April and still has him dummy (dar).
    He loves it so much but have started to say to him that he is a big boy now and will have to throw dar in the bin soon. We are going to do it when his eye teeth are through and its going to hurt us too. So sorry have no advise but was wanting to know how you went.
    Really really well! Thanks for asking! The first night was heart wrenching! I sat outside his bedroom and quietly cried with him!

But he is now sleeping with less waking up as he was waking looking for his dummy in middle of night.

He still asks for it and sleep times are still dreadfully hard but I'm so happy I havnt given in. I tell him he's a big boy now.

I hope its an easy transition for you! It horrible to see them go through that giving up dummies it really breaks your heart, but once you decide to do it stay strong and don't give in and the withdrawals from it will soon get Better and Better and eventually pass I promise!

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad it went okay in the end. We are on Day One of getting rid of the bottle... it is just so sad when they are wanting their bottle/dummy/whatever it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    And is it possible to have a newborn baby without a dummy? Id rather not give one to this next one but I just don't know if I would cope...

Any advice or feedback on this would be greatly appreciated! It gets no easier even the 3rd time around! [/QUOTE]

Yes it is possible to have a newborn without a dummy, which I wouldnt have believed after DD1s loveaffair with hers, DD2 refuses to take one, I actually think she is a lot more content than DD1, and I sure dont miss them

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I missed that question... neither of my kids really used dummies. They had some but rarely used them. So it is definitely possible. I guess it is just what they get used to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got rid of the dummies by cutting the teats off and showing them later that they were broken and they put them in the bin themselves. Only thing that worked!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post

Any advice or feedback on this would be greatly appreciated! It gets no easier even the 3rd time around!
    Yes it is possible to have a newborn without a dummy, which I wouldnt have believed after DD1s loveaffair with hers, DD2 refuses to take one, I actually think she is a lot more content than DD1, and I sure dont miss them

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub[/QUOTE]

YES YES YES agreed!!!! I want to bow if it is POSSiBLE to not give a newborn a dummy too advice regarding this would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dannii83 View Post

YES YES YES agreed!!!! I want to bow if it is POSSiBLE to not give a newborn a dummy too advice regarding this would be greatly appreciated!!!! [/QUOTE]

Read ur reply wrong! It is great to know it's possible thanks for you response on this!

Any other advice or help on this issue would be appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok I totally dont get your reply, anyway all I was saying is yes it is possible, besides some babies will refuse a dummy.
    We did the same as a pp, cut the top off the teat. Good luck.