+ Reply to Thread
    EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Nose Frida or Nasal Aspirator?

Hi ladies, just wondering which is better to get for when bubs get a blocked nose - the Nose Frida or just a Nasal Suction Aspirator?

The Nose Frida seems kinda gross that I would have to suck it out :-(

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an aspirator and just squirt a little Fess (saline solution) up there first and it comes out quite easily.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WannaBMummy82 View Post
    I have an aspirator and just squirt a little Fess (saline solution) up there first and it comes out quite easily.
    I use Little Fess too with the aspirator. Works well.

EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh ok thanks ladies, so u have to out the saline up there before using the Aspirator? Do u just get the saline from a chemist?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi EternalOptimist,

The Fess nasal aspirator sometimes comes in a pack with either saline drops or a spray-pump of saline solution (like the Sudafed nasal spray adults might use during a cold or flu).
    Though I haven't had a chance to use it yet, I bought the NoseFrida at the Sydney Pregnancy, Babies and Children's Expo because I really think the product has it's merits. I have used the Fess system on twin baby boys that I nanny, and I hate it nearly as much as they do.
    The idea of using your own "sucking power" with the NoseFrida is less disgusting when you consider that you have a hygiene filter (or more than one if you want to use more) between your mouth and the child's nose.

Reasons I dislike the Fess;

- The silicone nozzle that you (according to the instructions) "place at the entrance to the baby's nostril", doesn't get the mucous out effectively. I believe Fess has even designed the newer version with it's softer and longer silicone probe because they know that for the device to work even moderately well you have to actually insert the probe at least a little way into the baby's nose. Most parents I have asked admit to doing just this, with the obvious consequences of discomfort (even danger) to the baby. Unfortunately, this momentary discomfort is easier to inflict when you want to see your child breathe easier (if only just a little).

- The Fess aspirator has such a small volume that each "suck" has minimal effectiveness, prolonging the uncomfortable procedure for baby and carer. Funny how Fess admits infants over 3mths "tend to wriggle" (try writhe, flail, and desperately squirm for freedom)!

- The Fess aspirator (snot collector) is hard to clean and dry properly.

When 1st using the Fess on the twins at approx. 5mths old, I thought "there must be a better way". A Mother at a park advised me to "suck it out using my own mouth" (I don't think I could do that on my own child, let alone someone else's)! A simple Google search came up with the NoseFrida, which seemed intuitively better and addressed all the problems I was experiencing with the Fess, including;

+ Much wider nasal tube, which seals at the *entrance* to the baby's nose, getting a better seal and more complete suction.

+ Suction regulated by you, not a hand-held device with one brief moment of extreme pressure.

Admittedly, for "dry mucous" in the nose, the Fess saline to liquefy the mucous is a huge plus, but you can use a saline spray and THEN the NoseFrida in such situations- giving the best of both worlds.

I just wanted to add that I am talking about use of either system on babies and <2 year olds. Just because many parents have expressed alarm that these products even exist, because they simply "milk" their children's noses, or "teach them to blow their nose". I don't think you can do that with a newborn or breastfeeding baby who breathes almost exclusively through their nose, and needs their nasal passages to be free to a) breathe, and b) feed.

Hope this helps. It's a subject I am quite passionate about for some reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I jsut used a few drops of cooled boiled water in a syringe for DS. It would usually loosen it enough that it would slip backwards or he would sneeze. Make sure you duck - being covered in snot is not nice. Use a small volume syringe, DS *really* disliked it when the syringe was stuck and 1ml accidentally went down. WHOOPS. He was about 6 months though.

Disclaimer: You need to be careful about introducing anything into a childs airway. I always used cooled boiled water. If you have concerns speak with your medical practitioner.