+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cats and Baby

Hi All

Is it safe to have cats when you have a newborn i am 21 weeks and have heard people say they don't have a cat(s) because they don't trust them with baby????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have two cats and a four month old. Yes, you need to monitor babies with cats as with any animal but we have had no problems so far. Things to be aware of are mainly not allowing cats access to sleeping baby (we use a monitor) and watching any interaction so cats don't scratch etc. My cats have mainly ignored my little one so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a very and she is the most patient, delicate thing around my dd, now 2. She never, ever went into the babies room and never attempted to sleep with my girl. If she had had enough if having her tail pulled she will just move away. She sleeps, in the laundry overnight

But it all depends in the cat and how you train/teach it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    i was worried about this, i spoke to my vet, she said they usually go up have a sniff and usually just end up ignoring them when bubby is really small, however, she said to make sure that the cat does not get in the cot with the baby so ill be making sure that the cat does not get locked in the babies room at bed time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by october12 View Post
    Hi All

Is it safe to have cats when you have a newborn i am 21 weeks and have heard people say they don't have a cat(s) because they don't trust them with baby????
    I cannot trust my cat to EVER be left with my 4 month old baby- let's just say I was one of the unlucky ones- though this is (according to animal behaviorists) extremely rare.

ETA- babies and animals should always be fully supervised.

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We have 2 cats and when DD was a bub and we first brought her home they had a curious sniff and that was it. The main issue with my male cat was that he liked to sleep with me and I wouldn't allow him to sleep in my room as DD was in the bassinette in there and he acted out a bit. (Peeing on things etc but nothing towards DD). I think they can just get there noses out of joint as cats, by nature, do not like change.

Just moniter the cat and make sure it doesn't sleep anywhere need the baby and you should be alright.

ETA: Fixed my shocking spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have 3 cats and am due in September. They have never hurt my older son and they're not aggressive, but I am wary that they could curl up to the baby's face or be a SIDs risk, so I will have to supervise the new baby carefully with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks to everyone for their comments sometimes you just need a bit of advice or help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our cat is not interested in our DD at all, but she is obsessed with him! He's a bit of a scratchy cat - we've always supervised them together and DD now understands that she needs to be a bit careful around him. When she went into a cot (at 8 weeks) we bought a cot canopy for peace of mind (by Babyhood).

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only thing we have to watch with our cat is that he likes to sleep in the cot . But he rarely tries that now.

We just make sure that, when he's inside, we know where he is (which isn't hard because he's only got a few fave spots).