+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tips on giving medicine to a toddler

Any tips for getting toddlers to take medicine?

My DS is 2.5 years old and has just been prescribed antibiotics for the first time. We tried holding him down and giving it, he spat it all out. I put it in some hot chocolate and he refused to drink it, told me the milk must be off.

He needs to take the medicine but I am at a loss as to how to get it into him.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Give him the option - he takes it or you pin him down and give it to him. If he spits it out, give him another dose. Explain to him that yes it tastes bad but if he swallows it he'll get a piece of chocolate (or similar) to take the taste away. If he spits it out, he'll have to taste it longer because you'll keep giving it to him.

Can you give him the syringe and let him do it himself?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (06-06-2012)

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My 2yr old will only take it if he does it himself or his older brother gives it to him. He won't have a bar of me if I try.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Does it actually taste bad though? If not, put a teeny bit on a spoon and touch it to his lips, then he will lick it off and see it's quite yummy. And hopefully take a spoon, especially if you have a favourite treat waiting for afterwards.
    If it's horrible, then sorry, we gave up giving doses if it tasted yuck, so i'm no help there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. I asked him if he wanted to do it and he told me "I no sick anymore, I no need medicine".

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by davally View Post
    Thanks. I asked him if he wanted to do it and he told me "I no sick anymore, I no need medicine".
    Is he still sick? Maybe scare him a little and tell him if he doesn't have the medicine he'll have to go to hospital? Sounds horrible I know but if he needs the medicine you have to get it into him somehow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We told our DS he could get smarties after taking medicine. I would lay it all out on a plate then explain that he could have the smarties once he takes the medicine. He would try and reach for the smarties but I kept repeating the same message. He caught on and now he doesn't need the smarties anymore and is great at taking any medication.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used a tube of mini m&ms. Told him if he had a mouthful he could have 2 m&ms. Little monkey negotiated that up to three, but he had a mouthful, had some m&ms, had another mouthful etc till it was all gone. Unfortunately DH got so excited that he took the medicine he told him he could have the tube but I managed to get him to hang onto the tube for later so he did not eat them all. But at least he got the medicine into him and Fortunately only needs to take another two doses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lollies are definitely required here Whatever it takes as it is super important he takes the whole course of antibiotics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grab ds stick the syringe in and it's done before he has a chance to know what's happening.

Another suggestion is filling the syringe with his favorite drink.