Threaded View

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Arts/Psychology degree... will it lead anywhere??

Hi, I'm new here but I was hoping for some advice from anyone else who has studied and succeeded...I have been a stay at home mum for 8 years now. I have an almost 8 year old, a 5 year old and a very stubborn 3 1/2 year old.The idea my husband has is that I will be a stay at home mum until my last little girl goes to school in 2 years time. That will mean I will have been out of work for 10 years.My husband was then hoping to ease up on his work load and do the school drop off and pick ups while I go back to work full time. (Cos apparently I have been living a holiday for the past 8 years Huh... thats a WHOLE other topic lol)Anyway, before I had my eldest daughter I worked in administration, I was at the time studying off campus to complete my education degree that I started at the end of high school but with working full time, studying off campus, planning a wedding, building a house and playing a lead role in a local theatre show kind of took its toll on me and I just found I couldnt complete it. I didn't have the energy or the motivation.I dont' want to go back to work answering phones or doing someone elses filing, or work in retail as a shop assistant. I want more in my life. I want to show my girls that I can do something for me and be something that will make a difference in other peoples lives.I know I have it in me to give more to the community but I just don't know in what way.Basically what I'm asking is I have a lot of self doubt and dont' know if I have what it takes to study... I would love to do psychology but have heard that if you do the 4 years including the honors then its extremely EXTREMELY hard to find somewhere to do the 2 year placement afterwards before you can get registered... I wondered if I did a bachelor of arts majoring in psychology I could still follow on and do the placement later on, or if I could possibly do a 4th yr education post grad degree to teach psychology in high schools???Has anyone done this or can anyone on here offer me any advice on what steps I can take as a mature age student and how I can go about doing something for myself???PS: The compromise I have given my husband is that if I study I have to do it part time so I can begin working part time as well so I can begin to contribute financially to the family...am I striving too high??TIA
    Last edited by SeekingMore; 05-06-2012 at 18:56. Reason: Title change