+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Arts/Psychology degree... will it lead anywhere??

Hi, I'm new here but I was hoping for some advice from anyone else who has studied and succeeded...I have been a stay at home mum for 8 years now. I have an almost 8 year old, a 5 year old and a very stubborn 3 1/2 year old.The idea my husband has is that I will be a stay at home mum until my last little girl goes to school in 2 years time. That will mean I will have been out of work for 10 years.My husband was then hoping to ease up on his work load and do the school drop off and pick ups while I go back to work full time. (Cos apparently I have been living a holiday for the past 8 years Huh... thats a WHOLE other topic lol)Anyway, before I had my eldest daughter I worked in administration, I was at the time studying off campus to complete my education degree that I started at the end of high school but with working full time, studying off campus, planning a wedding, building a house and playing a lead role in a local theatre show kind of took its toll on me and I just found I couldnt complete it. I didn't have the energy or the motivation.I dont' want to go back to work answering phones or doing someone elses filing, or work in retail as a shop assistant. I want more in my life. I want to show my girls that I can do something for me and be something that will make a difference in other peoples lives.I know I have it in me to give more to the community but I just don't know in what way.Basically what I'm asking is I have a lot of self doubt and dont' know if I have what it takes to study... I would love to do psychology but have heard that if you do the 4 years including the honors then its extremely EXTREMELY hard to find somewhere to do the 2 year placement afterwards before you can get registered... I wondered if I did a bachelor of arts majoring in psychology I could still follow on and do the placement later on, or if I could possibly do a 4th yr education post grad degree to teach psychology in high schools???Has anyone done this or can anyone on here offer me any advice on what steps I can take as a mature age student and how I can go about doing something for myself???PS: The compromise I have given my husband is that if I study I have to do it part time so I can begin working part time as well so I can begin to contribute financially to the family...am I striving too high??TIA
    Last edited by SeekingMore; 05-06-2012 at 18:56. Reason: Title change

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Psychology is a long slog. The industry is really moving towards needing 4 yrs + masters (2yrs) or doctorate(3 yrs) to register and practice, rather than the 2 yrs supervised practice pathway. If you want to be a clinical psychologist, it's another 2 years of supervised practice on top of the 6 years uni.

What sort of work would you like to do once graduated? Chances are there is another way of getting there that doesn't take as long. I really enjoyed and value my study and clinical training in psych, but have often reflected on how, in many of the roles I have worked in (child and adolescent mental health), I have worked alongside health professionals of other disciplines who are doing the same job yet only needed to do a 4 year degree (and get paid the same). Nursing, social work and OT, to name a few. They have less hoops to jump through to maintain registration also, as far as I am aware.

You could do the 4 years plus Education postgrad to teach psych, as you said, or to be a guidance officer or school counsellor. I think it would depend on the state you are in as to whether you need to be a registered psych to do that (which would add another 2 years).

If your passion is psychology, go for it!! But if you want to start working in a helping profession as soon as possible, so if time is a factor, maybe consider another discipline.

All the best for whatever path you decide to take!! So exciting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My partner did an arts degree majoring in psych, and then his psych honours. As you mention, the supervision jobs are practically non-existent. They changed the rules not long before he finished his honours and all the jobs dried up.

He managed to get a supervision job with his former employer who had supervised trainees under the old system, and they didn't realise how onerous the new system was when they employed him.

I think if you want to practice, you have to be commited to doing the 6 years at uni, but there are a shortage of masters places as well. For example, at his uni, you had to get a GPA of 7 to get into masters. He probably could have done it at another uni with a lower entrance score, but we couldn't afford for him to have another two years out of the workforce anyway.

There is apparently a divide in clinical (if you do your masters) and non-clinical (if you don't), and some difference in medicare rebate amounts.

While it is a long haul, he loves the work, and there appear to be a lot of jobs once you are registered. Although occasionally he he does feel disheartened that if he did social work instead, he would have been fully qualified 18 months ago. But there is more scope for better pay in psych than something like social work.

He also said that he found certain aspects of the degree very dry and research based.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not sure where you are at with your decision-making, but wanted to add to my previous post that an advantage of studying psych is the option to work in private practice. You can with other health quals, but I think there may be more opportunities for psychs in this regard. Again, if you wanted to do this, you would be better off doing clinical psych Masters given the way things changing in the industry.

I guess it comes back to my original question re what work you want to do at the end of it all.

Feel free to PM me if I can help any further!