+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Help get my almost 3 year to sleep

My son who will be 3 next month sleeps with me pretty much most nights which I don't have a problem with (well, for now anyway) the thing is most nights lately he hasn't been getting to sleep til late (around 9pm or 10pm).

He doesn't have naps every day, I find that I can't force him to sleep (nap time) but he does sometimes sleep in the car or pram or if he's really tired at home he'll get his blanket and pillow and sleep on the couch if HE wants (he won't sleep in my room or his own room in the day) OR if he's playing with his toys he'll sometimes fall asleep wherever he is.

At night he has a set routine, dinner around 5pm, bath, play etc but when it's time for bed I put him in my room or his own room but he won't sleep, I have tried lying down with him, but he just mucks around. He wants to sleep on the couch while I watch tv (after doing dishes, housework etc) but yeah, lately he won't even do that. He lays down with his pillow and blanket, but won't actually fall asleep til quite late.

I recently took away his dummy (about a month or so ago) and he's been ok most of the time without it, just had it 2 weeks ago for a few days cos he was sick so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not and I don't wanna give it back to him now cos he is getting older.

Any suggestions on how I can get him to sleep a bit early (say around 8pm).

Thanks in advance

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have you tried cutting out that day nap? What time does he get up in the morning? I would suggest cuttingly the day nap and waking him up earlier, you will have a tough grumpy day or so but it should help to reset his body clock.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    He wakes around 7:30 every morning. As for the day nap, I don't force him to sleep, some days he doesn't have a nap at all, but other days (if he wants) he does. Like if he's tired he'll sleep in the car or pram if we're out or he'll go into his room and get his blanket and pillow and sleep on the couch for an hour.

He also goes to daycare two days a week and he sleeps there aswell for about an hour or two both days.

Also there have been occasions where he'll fall asleep on the couch around 4:30-5pm for an hour and then he'll wake up and have dinner.
    Last edited by mum2bubba; 02-06-2012 at 12:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whatever you do cass, dont encourage him to sleep on the couch. I made that mistake and it took forevee to get out of.

Is he happy to lay in bed reading a book? If you dont mind him watching a movie while he is in bed could that also work?

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also found i couldnt force DS to sleep either. Some nights he will lay in bed awake til 8pm even though he goes to bed at 6-6:30pm each night.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2bubba View Post
    He wakes around 7:30 every morning. As for the day nap, I don't force him to sleep, some days he doesn't have a nap at all, but other days (if he wants) he does. Like if he's tired he'll sleep in the car or pram if we're out or he'll go into his room and get his blanket and pillow and sleep on the couch for an hour.

He also goes to daycare two days a week and he sleeps there aswell for about an hour or two both days.

Also there have been occasions where he'll fall asleep on the couch around 4:30-5pm for an hour and then he'll wake up and have dinner.
    If my 3 yr old slept that much during the day he would be up until all hours too! Day care should be able to get him up once everyone else is asleep its what my sons day care center does. Even a 20 minute nap means he will be up for an extra 1-2 hours in the evenings so if you want him to go to bed earlier you really need to cut them out. If he is up at 7:30 and you are happy for him to go to bed at 8 ish then I don't think you need to wake him any earlier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The thing is he doesn't get to sleep til late no matter what. Even if he has no naps in the day. He does read/look at books at night but then when he's finished, he wants to get up again I am tempted to get a small tv in his room, but I don't know about that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2bubba View Post
    The thing is he doesn't get to sleep til late no matter what. Even if he has no naps in the day. He does read/look at books at night but then when he's finished, he wants to get up again I am tempted to get a small tv in his room, but I don't know about that.
    If he is napping one day but not the next then I'd say he is catching up on sleep on the napping days. I would never put a tv in my child's room talk about stimulating exactly the op of what you want my mum found a normal radio on an abc channel worked well for a bit of back ground noise.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (02-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm there's an idea...

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    If he is napping one day but not the next then I'd say he is catching up on sleep on the napping days. I would never put a tv in my child's room talk about stimulating exactly the op of what you want my mum found a normal radio on an abc channel worked well for a bit of back ground noise.
    thats what it sounds like to me too.
    we've stopped dd sleeping anywhere except bed now, ill keep her awake in the car as she only sleeps 30mins there then thinks shes rested.
    im not looking forwards to her dropping the nap though!
    ive also found that if we are really active in the arvo/evening she sleeps easily. she wakes from her nap, we have arvo tea then we go run around the park, go swimming, ride our bikes until dark, then its dinner bath playschool boob bed.