+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Post ADVICE NEEDED! My toddler is terrified for the bath/shower

My 16 month old has always absolutely LOVED her bath /shower in the evening, and overnight has decided that she is terrified of it. We think she got spooked by the bath plug noise one time, and now she's made her mind up that she's going to fight bath time tooth and nail. She becomes completely hysterical, inconsolable, thrashes around, climbs out, wriggles/twists/turns and carries on making it impossible to hold her in the bath. She gets so distressed that its a very difficult time for us all!

Its been almost 2 weeks of this now. We've tried giving her a break and sponging her next to the bath, getting in the bath with her, bubbles, toys, games/fun, swapping to showers (she's doing the same thing in the shower), We play next to the bath and not forced her to get in, to let her get used to the idea slowly but that hasn't worked...

We have a baby due in one week... we are keen to help her overcome this issue asap!!

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you overcome it and how long did it take??? Has anyone found that just with persistence it has settled on its own?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS1 was terrified of the bath after a friend bathed him and took the plug out and it was noisy. He thought he was going to go down he drain. He was around 2.

The only saving grace was that he was fine with the shower. He eventually just got over it and now loves the bath. Not sure how to help if she hates both though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What if you get in there with her?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (01-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my DD hated the bath we used the baby bath in the laundry with bubbles and toys in it. She liked the novelty and hopped straight in. In summer I bathed them in the clam shell outside but perhaps a tad too cold for that now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i use one of those foldable baths in the spa bath as it takes forever to fill up the bath. I was going to suggest bubbles as well. Blow some bubbles for a distraction..worth a try..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I would give her a shower. Over time put the plug in and let the water build up and it should help with her confidence of the bath again.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe put her in the baby bath in front of the tv as a special treat? Although she's probably too big my nephew (6 and big for his age) still folds up and hops in, he loves it, as does my niece. She hated baths too but was okay with the baby bath.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Relax, take your time and maybe avoid the bath for a while. You both have lots going at the moment ,maybe try after the new baby is born and just sponge for now. This is common and will pass.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerry Harley For This Useful Post:

AussiePinComAu  (05-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think perhaps don't force the issue, keep up the sponge baths and let her see the family having a great time in the tub without her, and soon she'll want back in!

Now that I think about it, I had a phobia of the plug and going down the plug hole when I was about three. I'll ask my Mum how she got me past it, if she remembers! I think eventually the lure of the bath was greater than the fear...

Hope it resolves itself soon, good luck with the new bub!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    jasper went through a bit of a phase of that around 2 years. so he only had a shower with me every couple of days (because he played hard, got filthy slept in our bed!!!)

but it only lasted a few months.

but now he needs a warning or two that shower time it's over or he cries. he's usually begging for a few more mins in the shower

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub