+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How are you saving electricity?

I would put a poll but will have to wait for the PC.

Are you making changes for the increases in electricity?

I've always been a light-nazi. But at present we've only got a column heater going in the baby's room, and wood heater in the living room. I avoid the dryer - always have - but have found myself thinking before turning in the kettle.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I turn everything off at the power point. EVERYTHING! I turn the power point on to use the appliance and as soon as I'm finished it gets turned off again.

My dad got me these great power boards with individual switches on them so you can turn certain things off without having to unplug them from the power board.

I don't have a dryer anymore and we have mink blankets and fleecy dressing gowns and slippers to rug up with instead of putting the heater on.

I'm a light nazi too.

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We are trying to use the RC heating and the dryer a lot less. It's hard though when it is THIS cold, brrrrr.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The kids have animal wheat packs that I heat up for 3 minutes each and put in their beds about an hour before they go to bed. 3 minutes is WAY too hot for the packs to be snuggly but they heat the bed up and by the time the kids go to bed the packs are just the right
    Snuggle temperature :-)

If I do put the heater on I close up that end of the house so that it's not working overtime to heat the whole house, just the living room area. Also I make sure I open the
    Curtains through the day so the tiles
    Inside heat up from the sun. As soon as the sun starts to go down, I close all the curtains again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhugs View Post
    I make sure I open the
    Curtains through the day so the tiles
    Inside heat up from the sun. As soon as the sun starts to go down, I close all the curtains again.
    I love decent curtains! They're definitely worth the $$$!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I switched the halogen globes in my downlights for LED ones. They cost a bit more but save 80-90% in electricity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bin13 View Post
    I switched the halogen globes in my downlights for LED ones. They cost a bit more but save 80-90% in electricity.
    Can you just put LED globes in the old halogen fittings?? Or do you need to replace the lot? Our bills are through the roof since putting in downlighting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello, my husband is an electrician and has worked with a lot of different lighting methods. He removed all the pendant lighting in our house and installed LED down lights throughout which we are very happy with. We have also noticed our bills drop too.

To answer your question, yes, you can install down lights to an existing fitting, you would just have to order the correct LED lamp.

There are 2 types of Halogen/LED lamps;

MR16 which is a 12 Volt lamp (runs on a transformer) and has 2 pins (which actually look like pins)

And then you have a GU10 globe which is 240 Volt, has twist and lock pins (which look like a cupboard door handle... to help you out lol)

Now in saying that, he also recommends for new installations that going for the GU10 240v lights is a better option as they have a better life rating and eliminates the possibility of a transformer failure.

But, if you already have down lights installed, and you have 12v down lights, to save yourself some money, purchasing the MR16 LEDs will get you out of trouble.

With either globe, they are interchangeable with the fitting, just check which lamps you have before you order.

I hope I have helped.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarelou For This Useful Post:

smootch  (04-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We replaced almost all our lights with energy efficient ones.

I think the biggest savings are due to not having certain appliances, eg we don't have a dryer, an air conditioner, and the only heater we have is a fan heater which we just run for a very short period when it's really cold.