ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default FTM question re pumps

Hi all

I'm after opinions on manual breast pumps.

I have been solely bf'ing my 2 week old & would like to start expressing so DH can help me with some night feeds.

I really have no idea where to start or what to look for in a pump so am hoping to have some light shed on them. Also what is a reasonable price to pay w/out being ripped off?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I bought one for $10! It was a discontinued line I think, but still BPA free. I am horrified that some are $100 or more! Honestly, I think they all work in a similar way so it's much of a muchness. Mine is chicco brand. I prefer it Over my $150+ medela mini electric !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I bought the tomee tipee one for $95 and it works just fine but next baby I'm buying an electric pump coz I find it really hard work manual pumping all the time. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $120 for a manual pump.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a cherub baby bpa free etc manual breast pump which i used maybe 3times.
    I also have an Avent out and about set which has an electric single breastpump. And i LOVE it. I fed my first child til he was 1 and used it at work. It was fast and so easy to use. Now my seconr baby is 5 weeks old and I plan to use it again when I go back to work in a few months. It did cost around 180dollars but its.bpa free and it came with a travel bag 2 bottles teats etc and two mini ice packs. :-)
    Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies. It's so overwhelming the amount of choices we have! 😄

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got an Avent Electric pump and loved it so much I bought another one (so I could do both at the same time at work). I have a friend who started out with manual pumps but ended up buying an electric one, the same brand I bought. I bought both of mine on ebay second hand in great condition and saved a small fortune.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing: I'm wondering if I'll need one too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How often are you going to pump and how long do you plan on BFing for? If you are doing it every day I would suggest an electric rather than manual. If baby is feeding every 2-3 hours you will need it to be quick and effective...

I pumped everyday for a month and rented a Medela Symphony from the local chemist. It is not the cheapest option, but it is a hospital grade double pump.

(TBH I found pumping to be a pain in the ars* and not worth the effort for the reward, so maybe try renting or borrowing one first)