+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How long we're you allowed to go over?

Ahhh MOD can you please correct my title, hate grammar mistakes! I'm only 13+3 but my OB has said I'm not to be induced if I go overdue but I forgot to ask how long he would be willing to let me go over.

Just wondering what experience others have had? I really want my VBAC!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I'm actually really glad he won't induce, I had a really bad experience last time which ended in an emergency c-section under general. So now I'm terrified of induction AND c-sections lol.
    DF and I are looking at natural ways to induce. But I think I'm going to have to come to terms with a planned c-section being a possibility.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD came a week early, but my OB was happy for me to go to 40 + 10. They would have been ok with me going longer if I was keen to, as long as I had daily monitoring.

ETA: They explained to me that I was low risk until I went into labour, so they don't necessarily encourage intervention (ie a c/s) any earlier than they would induce for a non-VBAC.
    Last edited by sunshine81; 24-05-2012 at 15:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine81 View Post
    DD came a week early, but my OB was happy for me to go to 40 + 10. They would have been ok with me going longer if I was keen to, as long as I had daily monitoring.

ETA: They explained to me that I was low risk until I went into labour, so they don't necessarily encourage intervention (ie a c/s) any earlier than they would induce for a non-VBAC.
    Oh that's great, thanks! My OB is low intervention so that's given me some hope I always forget to ask something when I go, must start writing it down lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My OB said a week over but that "it was negotiable". Midwife said that some ob's will go longer or shorter than that, just depends on their philosophy regarding vbacs. I'm going public, so she said she'll send me to a pro vbac OB in the last 4 weeks when my appts are weekly.

She also said that they can try a stretch and sweep and rupturing membranes under favourable conditions. I would rather avoid this and go naturally unless I go really over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Whatever your OB says he "will allow," is not gospel. You are allowed to decline a repeat caesarean if you get to a certain point past your EDD. You are allowed to say no. You are allowed to make these decisions for youself.

Just know that you're not completely at the mercy of someone else and what they say you will be doing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (24-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    when i had my Ds 5 years ago i went 13 days over. before they even thought of inducing me. they induced me on the 14th day.

With my second i wanted a Vbac. i only went 5 days over that time, but i cant remember how long over they said i could go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was induced at 12 days past edd. Ob said this was safer than repeat c/sec

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hollychops View Post
    My OB said a week over but that "it was negotiable". Midwife said that some ob's will go longer or shorter than that, just depends on their philosophy regarding vbacs. I'm going public, so she said she'll send me to a pro vbac OB in the last 4 weeks when my appts are weekly.

She also said that they can try a stretch and sweep and rupturing membranes under favourable conditions. I would rather avoid this and go naturally unless I go really over.
    Luckily my OB is very pro VBAC, just not sure on how long he will let me go. He is also through public and I have an appointment with him every 4 weeks. I'm open to S+S, not sure about amniotomies though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Whatever your OB says he "will allow," is not gospel. You are allowed to decline a repeat caesarean if you get to a certain point past your EDD. You are allowed to say no. You are allowed to make these decisions for youself.

Just know that you're not completely at the mercy of someone else and what they say you will be doing.
    So annoying not being able to multi quote on phone lol.

Thank you, I will definitely keep that in mind. My OB is well aware of my last delivery and knows my fears and wishes for this one so hopefully every thing will be fine. I want the chance to go into labour naturally.