+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Your journey to find meaning in this life

Hi happy Hubbers Hope you're all having a great morning!

There is an old saying "Never discuss religion or politics". It's a pity, because they are two if my most favourite subjects This forum section seems to be full of arguements, and i hope this thread doesn't go the same way.

I am genuinely interested in the journey others have made to get to their current beliefs. This is no attempt to "save" anyone lol. I love learning about other faiths. And i love to hear about how people came to their particular faiths. It is something that greatly interests me.

I'd love to hear your story

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    To cut a very long story short, I always believed *in* the bible and in God, I can't remember ever not, but it was only 10 years ago or so that I actually invited Him into my life for real and gave my life to Him. My husband is from an Atheist family and called out to God a few years ago and had an AMAZING conversion experience while on night shift at work. We attend a couple of different churches and will never identify as a particular denomination.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (24-05-2012),Liddybugs  (24-05-2012),shinebrite  (24-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing, but OP can you please clarify if this thread is for those who have religious faith only or are you interested in hearing from people with no religious 'faith' on how they have also arrived at their belief systems or ways of living?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too have always been brought up to believe in god and everything about the bible but it wasn't till just a couple of years ago that I reached an all time low stage in my life that the only way I could get out was to reach for god and called for help. I had an amazing real feeling of hope and faith again and just knew that he was always there to help if you just let him in. Now I'm always thankful for the little things in life and never been happier.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sini For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (24-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have always grown up believing in god - my mum is a christian, my dad not quite but not quite atheist.
    Anyhow, I always thought that believing in god would be enough to 'save' me.
    I have been feeling the need to call out to god for a few years now but life got in my way (as it does to many people trying to call for god.)
    When I gave birth to my dd I knew right then that I had to give glory to god. I started making it a point to read the bible. My husband ended up doing the same thing even though he use to think I was insane (brought up believing in god like me).
    When I started my relationship with Jesus I finally knew what others have talked about. HE does listen and He answers you.
    I was petrufued that if I had died 2 years ago, im sure I would have gone to hell out of pure ignorance.
    I've had crazy things done to me, when Jesus revealed himself to me, I woke up one day and all my pain and anger had gone...
    I was able to forgive my dad for very hurtful things he has done. I was able to forgive my ex bff for a betrayal.
    We were going downhill financially fast. I prayed for an outcome, the next day my husband not only got offered OT but got offered a two week stunt at the easter show for 2k.

There have been so many ways un which I know god listens to us, I just hope that one day others can experience what I have.

My mum who started coming to church again with me after not attending for 6 years is alot happier now and she is saved

Now I pray for my dad... he is the only one I an truly horrified where he will go when he dies.

Thanks for reading!

mummy to gods gift to us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, I will always defend our lord..

Luke 9:26 NLT

If anyone is ashamed of me and my message, the Son of Man will be ashamed of that person when he returns in his glory and in the glory of the Father and the holy angels.

mummy to gods gift to us

9. The Following User Says Thank You to knomie For This Useful Post:

angenrod  (24-05-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
    Subscribing, but OP can you please clarify if this thread is for those who have religious faith only or are you interested in hearing from people with no religious 'faith' on how they have also arrived at their belief systems or ways of living?

Thanks
    this.

i wasnt bought up with a religion, but in my travels have come to an independantly derived set of morals and ethic by which i live my life. i know the difference between right and wrong, and try to do what is right for the situation. i also strongly believe that 'right' is subjective. it is wrong for ME to do xyz, but for someone in a different position it may be right.
    my beliefs are fairly in line with an 'organised' religion (which ironically is my fils religion) but it doesnt require any formal worship/rule following/actions.
    i will never believe in a all powerful being, as ive seen far too much pain and suffering in this world.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (24-05-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    pardon my grammar, im on the phone sitting in a path lab for the morning

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I was brought up a catholic. My dad is still very religious.

I went to catholic school and was forced to go to confession. I think it's horrible to make children do this. I used to have to make up lies to confess. I remember as a 7 year old the image of god I had in my head from what I was taught at school, and it wasn't a friendly image. I can still remember it now. It was a man sitting crossed legged, with a black suit and huge top hat, looking down on us as if judging. That is the image I got as a child, not something I want my children to "see" I went to public school from year 8 and it was great.

My husband is Irish and brought up in strict catholic household and he still believes that god punishes you. That is not a god I want to associate with, or my children to believe in! My husband has guilt about not going to church regularly, not because he thinks it's the right thing to do, but because he thinks he will be punished. I tell him he doesn't need to go to church to be a good person.

I don't need to live by the bible to be a good person or to have morals. I'm quite capable of working out what is wrong and right for my life. I don't believe god sends anyone to hell, I don't believe in hell. I don't want to believe in a god that sends people there, I don't want my children thinking they will be going to hell. I raise my children to be empathetic and caring towards others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I believe in my God and I believe in Jesus. I have a two way relationship with both of them which is beautiful and amazing to say the least.

I don't believe in what the bible says and I certainly don't believe in church. I was rasied as a Baptist to begin with and then we converted to Catholic. I went to a Catholic school where the priest was having an affair with the lady who cleaned his house which was on the premises and the church consisted of a convicted peodeophile who ended up abusing one of my close friends in the toilet block. I don't believe in hell .. not for one second. I believe that life on earth right now is our hell and we will ALL get our heaven. Even if you don't believe in God, you'll still get your heaven along with the rest of us.

I've dabbled in baptist, catholic, anglican, buddhist, Hindu, paganism, pentecostal and the list goes on and on. I never found the comfort and the joy that I have found now which is beleiving that MY God does exist and although he may not be the same as your God, He's still amazing and I love him to pieces!

Call me what you will but this is my belief and how I got to where I am. I am the happiest I have EVER been in my life and i know that I only need to call on God or Jesus and there they are before I can even blink.I could lie and my God will never judge me. I will say that i am sorry and He will forgive me. Just like that. My God has never cast judgement. He has sadness for what is happening in the world, but He does not judge.
    Last edited by FirstTimeMummy2012; 24-05-2012 at 12:00.