+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Calling all VIC Mummys-to-be, i need an OBGYN!

Hi all Mummys-to-be

I am at my wits end and in desperate need of advice.

I am currently 8 weeks and in dire need of an obstetrician!!
    As soon as I found out I was pregnant, I had my heart set on having my baby at the Royal Womens, however that was abruptly (and rudely) shot down when I was told that as I live in Altona I do not fall into their catchment.
    Upon advisal from my local GP, I had the choice of Sunshine (vomit!) or Werribee Mercy.
    I have a friend that recently delivered at Sunshine and had a miserable experience, so that was an immediate no for me.
    I then sought out OBGYNs at Werribee Mercy, only to be told that the one my GP referred me, Dr Sahar, too retires 2 weeks before my baby is due (on the 2nd of Jan) and all of January is already booked out at Werribee Mercy
    To confuse matters even further, my partner and I may be living in Keysborough by the time little one comes!

I'm so confused! It seems no one wants to help me. Everywhere that I am referred to says that they can't help me and now as my pregnancy is progressing I feel like I am 1000 steps behind everyone else.
    My partner thinks I am putting too much emphasis on having the 'right OBGYN', but at the end of the day I am entrusting mine and my babies life to them and sharing my most intimate moments, obviously I want one highly skilled, but I think there is also something to be said for bedside manner.
    Calling all my Western and South Eastern suburb ladies... HELP!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like u r stuck with Sunshine, I believe the 'Know your midwife' program was suppose to be quite good, they r also trialling a home birth program. I understand your friend had a bad experience but I think over 200 births are experienced each month there so they can't all be bad. I know of both good and bad experiences, I believe it depends on what team you end up with.
    If you really want the Women's, do u have a medical condition u could use to make u high risk? Ie diabetes, other mc, as I know of a few people who have been accepted b/c of them. Alternatively do u know someone who lives in the inner city suburbs, you could um borrow there address? Good luck with it all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I didn't book in at the womens with my first pregnancy till 9 weeks but I borrowed my bil's address. I had to change my address with medicare and the gp but I was in the catchment for the angliss and that was not an option for me. Once i'd had a few appts we moved house anyway and I updated my real address with all the appropriate people. I've got other friends in north melb who are pregnant and going to the womens and they were moving to oak park but kept their address in north melb with medicare until they were accepted at the womens.

At the time I moved i was closer to the mercy (heidleberg) and I checked them out, I was over 30 weeks pg at the time and they didn't seem to have a problem with that. They have me s hospital tour etc. Maybe you could see if they have spots as I don't know that they are as strict with catchment (I'm in their zone this time so I could be wrong about that). Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    As Malu said, don't judge by just the bad experiences. I also know of a few friends who have given birth there (2 who have had 4 kids each there) and had great experiences, and only 1 who's experience was not so good. Question.. Are you going private or public? If going private you should ve able to choose your own obgyn and hospital ??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Exactly, if you are going private you would still need to find an ob pretty quickly as they do book up but then you could go anywhere (freemasons, frances perry, mitcham private etc etc).

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey hun, I do shared care with a awesome lady in Keilor east, I live in sunshine and even with a major medical issue that needs to be seen to asap Royal Women's wouldn't take me, Apparently it needs to be life threatening or a issue to the babies health. If you want i can give u her number to call, she wont be there for the birth but will do all your appointments in the doctors instead ( no wait times )

Thanks
    Reviews
    hey lovely ladies,

Thank you all for your advice. We are going public.
    I have friends in North Melbourne that had their baby at RWH 4 weeks ago... I wonder if it's too soon to use their address
    I guess it's not so much Sunshine Hospital itself (though the maternity ward is hideously out of date) but more the people.
    Being a first time mum I don't know what to do and can only go by peoples recommendations, I'm hoping by posting this thread that someone will be able to personally recommend a OBGYN that they have had great experiences with (and that falls into my catchment).
    I feel like this is my first big 'mummy' decision and I am so desperate to make the right one.

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love Werribee Mercy, 3rd pregnancy here and now they have renovated. I see Calandra (had him for all) who is good but don't expect any fluff or "how do you feel today". But he's wait list is 6 mths. My neighbour has had him twice, and last preg just did share care through a local gp until she could get in. I have heard not so nice things about him, but I find him good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My understanding from a nurse at werribee is that can't say they are full. Maybe ask for a manager. I had my baby at Frances perry with a great doc but as you aren't going private I am no help.

I have heard great things from sunshine, I had a female procedure done there and they were great. But there will be good and bad for every hospital.
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried calling other OBs at werribee? I think you'll find that the midwife clinic there is booked out not the actual hospital. Call werribee and ask for a list of OBs and call each of them them to find out if you can book in with them. I had Dr How with my daughter and he was fine.