+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question The best educational software and aids for Grade 1

I
    Last edited by Ready To Run; 21-05-2012 at 11:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ready to Run, have you spoken to his teachers? They should have picked up his ability level by now and be catering to it, but it wouldn't hurt to ask how he is going under the guise of finding out if they are extending him.
    Anyway, some websites you could get him onto at home are:
    www.readingeggs.com.au for reading
    www.ictgames.com for both literacy and maths games (free)
    www.poissonrouge.com has lots of different activities (red fish in English and free)
    Also if he is missing work through being sick, you could ask the teachers to send some work home, or just find out the topics they are learning in each subject and find appropriate games/information about it at:
    www.primaryresources.co.uk
    These are ones I use regularly when teaching Prep and Year 1. Hope it all helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dd is in year 4 and uses a site called study ladder, they use it in school too. I'm not sure if they have a section for year 1, maybe google it. We don't have an actual program for it we just use it online.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    My ds is in year 2 and uses studdyladder too.
    The kids use reading eggs.
    I guess online is probably a good place to start. There would be a fair few resources out there.

Otherwise what about buying some age appropriate workbooks? You can buy ones from the likes of big w and even supermarkets but if you went to an actual school textbook provider there would be a far greater variety to choose from.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter used "Mathletics"... which is pretty good, they also have a preschool aged section.
    There is also "spellodrome" which is aimed more towards English.

I'm not sure if these are free, but it's worth a try. She used those in the old private school she used to go to in Kindergarden, and now use mathletics in her public primary school, year 1.

Intrepica, is another website that's great for kids who are getting used to using a computer, it's a reward based educational website, where kids can get fake money and use that to buy costumes and extra games. Their literacy program is exellent for incrasing kid's vocab, and reading skills. Some of the programs on there, kids can use a computer independently, some they can't. That's okay it means that parents can have an imput instead of it only being an online gaming site.