+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 49 of 49
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,600
    Thanks
    3,256
    Thanked
    4,044
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ElastiGirl View Post
    Do you mean like this?

    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...chmentid=22220

    I guess its all relative. If people want to risk the lives of their children so be it. It's their choice. Live and let live, why let it bother you so much?

    People cant put their children lives at risk by choice and do so freely.

    Maybe you mean percieved risk?

    Sent from my X10i using BubHub
    Last edited by Mod-SammiAnn; 17-05-2012 at 07:21.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    805
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    121
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The link wont open on my phone so dont know what it is

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    26,930
    Thanks
    2,736
    Thanked
    6,745
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It's a pic from some foreign country of a whole family with several children all clinging to a motorbike. You can find similar pics all over the internet.

    I'd imagine the people that live in countries where that kind of crap happens all the time also have plenty of accidents and injuries and death as a result...

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    284
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked
    126
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    It's a pic from some foreign country of a whole family with several children all clinging to a motorbike. You can find similar pics all over the internet.

    I'd imagine the people that live in countries where that kind of crap happens all the time also have plenty of accidents and injuries and death as a result...
    Just in defence of those countries - they are usually overpopulated and the speed in which traffic moves is quite slow so the dangers aren't nearly as much as what they could be in that situation over here... and I guess u have to do what u have to do to survive and that involves takin risks... I don't think it's as big a deal.

  5. #45
    SpecialPatrolGroup's Avatar
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the messy house, Brisbane
    Posts
    9,481
    Thanks
    2,180
    Thanked
    5,406
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, In other countries people often carry children on motor or push bikes, it does not appear to be something that the authorities have an issue with. That makes it no less devastating if an accident occurs, especially if a child who has no choice about being on that bike is killed or injured. Here in Australia, we do have laws which clearly state that everyone on a bike must be wearing a helmet. Passengers on a motorbike must be over 8 years of age and whilst there don't seem to be laws about carrying a baby specifically, you may not double unless the bicycle is designed to carry an extra person or it is fitted with an appropriate seat. Ignorance of the law is not considered an excuse and pulling out a picture from a foreign country really doesn't prove anything IMO.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    2,068
    Thanks
    1,637
    Thanked
    544
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Just in defence of those countries - they are usually overpopulated and the speed in which traffic moves is quite slow so the dangers aren't nearly as much as what they could be in that situation over here... and I guess u have to do what u have to do to survive and that involves takin risks... I don't think it's as big a deal.
    I went on a study tour through Thailand and spent four weeks in hospitals seeing the damage that the situations pictured in that link can lead to. I have also witnessed in Thailand motorbikes travelling at ridiculous speeds, with no helmet and multiple passengers. Every hospital we went into they talked about the damage caused by these risks and accidents.

    It is a big deal.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    284
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked
    126
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC View Post
    I went on a study tour through Thailand and spent four weeks in hospitals seeing the damage that the situations pictured in that link can lead to. I have also witnessed in Thailand motorbikes travelling at ridiculous speeds, with no helmet and multiple passengers. Every hospital we went into they talked about the damage caused by these risks and accidents.

    It is a big deal.
    It's not AS big a deal as it happening here was my opinion.

    I've lived in a country where the laws are lax and in spite of that there aren't many cases of serious injuries caused by motorbike/push bikes...

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Launceston
    Posts
    13,468
    Thanks
    732
    Thanked
    2,355
    Reviews
    34
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Report them to the cops. Leave if you hate it so much, sounds like a horrid place!
    Last edited by waterlily; 18-05-2012 at 05:49.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,600
    Thanks
    3,256
    Thanked
    4,044
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    It's a pic from some foreign country of a whole family with several children all clinging to a motorbike. You can find similar pics all over the internet.

    I'd imagine the people that live in countries where that kind of crap happens all the time also have plenty of accidents and injuries and death as a result...
    I'd imagine so too.

    I was watching a doco ages back - not sure which country it was but they had just introduced their first traffic law. Can't remember what the law was either - something like dont intentionally run people over I'd hope!!! But that stuck in my head the idea of a country with no road rules!!!! Eek!


 

Similar Threads

  1. I want to kill my husband!!!!
    By knomie in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-05-2012, 14:23
  2. Kill the Nits!
    By SimplyMum in forum General Chat
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 26-04-2012, 18:45
  3. Please help me not kill or seriously mane my DH...........
    By LoveLivesHere in forum General Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-01-2012, 21:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
SoftmatsSoftmats specialises in safe, non-toxic, and durable play mats. The international Premium Dwingulerâ„¢ Play Mats and ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›