+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Clexane

Hi there

I am injecting clexane daily for my recent FET - (FS recommended me to take clexane, high folate and baby asprin). I am finding it really painful to inject the needles into the tummy area. I do sympathise with people that need to do this on a daily basis for life. I find it even worse than the antaganist needle (cant remember the name). Any recommendations on how to make it slightly easier. I do try and ice the injection area afterwards.

Many thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm on clexane for other reasons, but have found sometimes you get a batch of blunt needles that are quite hard to get in, then you'll get a batch that are very sharp and go in with little trouble.

One thing I've discovered is if I spend a moment lightly prodding with the needle either side of my belly button, I will find a spot less sensitive than others (less nerves?) and do it there.

I imagine most ppl already do it sitting up, but I was laying down to relax to do it, buefore discovering it's much easier to do sitting up.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hiya, I'm sorry for crashing the IVF thread, but I am 32 weeks pregnant and having to inject clexane twice daily.
    I do mine on the front of my upper thigh, and that's where they were given to me while I was in hospital, so that's fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree, clexane is worse than any Fertilty injections. I have not had alot of trouble with mine. I have been on it a few months and will remain on it unitl I have a baby (or give up trying to have a baby). I do my injection standing, the tummy seems more natural that way. I pinch a good amount of skin about a finger length away from the belly button level or down- any further out/closer from that seems to hurt more. I introduce the needle quickly at 90 degree to the skin. I inject fairly slowly then release the skin with the needle still in- wait 10 seconds... remove needle slowly. Sometimes I bruise, but not often.

As for the thigh- I did mine in the thigh once... ended up with a lump and bruise that lasted 3 weeks! But I think I hit a bad spot, and am keen to try my thigh again as I figure I might need to if I get UTD when the tummy is taut later in the pregnancy.

Hope it improves,
    40tude
    Last edited by Fortitude; 14-05-2012 at 10:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thigh was the worst for me, left tennis ball size lumps and hideous bruising that lasted for months :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to do clexane on my last FET & will have to this FET also.. I iced the area on my tummy for about 30 seconds before doing the jab & I didn't find it too bad, fairly painless & no bruises at all.. I also just stuck to one side of my tummy-I figured since it wasn't that painful I shouldn't ruin a good thing by trying to switch sides! Hehe Good luck Hun!!
    Last edited by The Time Has Come; 14-05-2012 at 11:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your tips ladies. I have only tried the tummy - alternate sides. I think in my current pack of clexane I have had a couple of blunt needles - they have seemed really difficult even piercing into the skin - whereas other nights they have seemed fine. So far I have tried to keep bruising to a minimum. Had a pea shaped bruise the other night my acupunturist advised to massage it and the bruise should minimise. Hubbie gives me all my injections so cant complain. I also try and hold icepack on the area after the injection for a bit if it is painful.

Good to hear I am not the only one with bruising and lumps etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What causes bruising is small amounts of blood leaking into the soft tissue near the site. If you firmly press for 5 minutes (no 'checking') you should get no bruises.

Good luck!