+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Flaxseed is also called linseed. I suggest looking at your healthfood shop, they'll def stock it there

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Prolactin is the hormone that produces milk. It gets released when your nipples get stimulated and milk supply also works on a supply and demand basis. No amount of natural medicines/coconut milk will increase it. Having a good diet and enough fluids will influence it though. Kangaroo care will increase skin to skin contact and help stimulation and let down. Try not to stress about it seems you are doing everything u can. Every breast is different and have different amounts of ducts and shouldn't be compared in Mls/expression in different people! If your babe feeds more frequently then that's not to say that's wrong it's just the way your breasts are- smaller amount of storage in the ducts = more frequent feeds. If your babes having wet and dirty nappies and seems content then no need to change your practice good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2bkb For This Useful Post:

SugarplumMummy  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecat View Post
    Small breasted doesn't mean small supply though! I am an A cup and am still feeding my 2 year old. I had to manage oversupply issues until she was 18 months old. I fed frequently for my own needs ie my breasts would get uncomfortably full quicker as they were small storage tanks :
    I also had to very gradually stretch out time between feeds overnight with both bubs or I would get mastitis
    Thanks! My breasts tend to be the same and seem to get quite "full" approaching 3 hourly.
    How do I stretch out the time? Just add an hour extra between feeds etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    At this early stage, there is no need to stretch out feeds. Feeding more regularly is the best way to keep your supply up, and your baby content.

Baby will let you know when he is ready to go longer between feeds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Agree with bubbles10. Babies will stretch them out by themselves when ready.

But I have heard slowly pushing them back 15min a feed can work reasonably well if you don't have supply issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah yes probably didnt explain that well - I meant stretching my boobs out longer between feeds when my baby chose to go longer between feeds eg sleeping longer at night or after starting solids at around 6 months.

I pushed it out by 15mins per night and just expressed for comfort. That was with my first who slept through at 4 months. Second one was an insommniac so it wasn't an issue til I night weaned her at 18 months. Then I just pumped a bit off for comfort about twice a night for a few nights and they adjusted.

I wasn't ever trying to stretch the babies out between feeds - quite the opposite, I fed frequently in the day especially to keep them comfortable and well drained. Babies happy with that arrangement....
    Last edited by purplecat; 08-06-2012 at 13:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecat View Post
    Ah yes probably didnt explain that well - I meant stretching my boobs out longer between feeds when my baby chose to go longer between feeds eg sleeping longer at night or after starting solids at around 6 months.

I pushed it out by 15mins per night and just expressed for comfort. That was with my first who slept through at 4 months. Second one was an insommniac so it wasn't an issue til I night weaned her at 18 months. Then I just pumped a bit off for comfort about twice a night for a few nights and they adjusted.

I wasn't ever trying to stretch the babies out between feeds - quite the opposite, I fed frequently in the day especially to keep them comfortable and well drained. Babies happy with that arrangement....
    Thanks purplecat - yes I probably wasn't clear either - I don't want to stretch out feed times. It's more of bub actually sleeping longer and going longer between his feeds & wanting to know how I handle my supply and engorged (leaking) breasts. Bub is now going 4 hourly of a night & my CHN assures me my breasts will soon adapt to this new feeding pattern? In the meantime I stopped taking motillium and fenugreek, not sure if I have done the right thing though in stopping the fenugreek?

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I stopped taking fenugreek supplement as my supply seemed ok. Should I start taking regularly again just to be sure?
    I was only taking 1/day though...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nup, most of the time you don't need any supplements or special food, just feed your baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    See how you go, if you feel your supply drop, than you can always start it up again.