ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Worried sick.. raw chicken :(

We went to a family member's house tonight for dinner and she cooked crumbed chicken kiev. She fried them up, but they didn't cook properly all the way through.. and I didn't realise until after I'd eaten 90% percent of it. It was a very thick breast of chicken. My DS called me from the kitchen where the kids were eating and showed me his raw chicken! The adults ate in the dining room and the light was very dim so I hadn't noticed that the chicken was raw in the middle.. I checked my food under the kitchen light and it was also undercooked, but as I said, I'd already eaten almost the entire breast, so had DS.
    I'm really worried now!! What can happen? Should I be concerned or is it unlikely anything will be happen? The outside was well cooked..

biscotti is offline Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I completely understand your concern, under cooked chicken worries me and I'm not even pregnant.
    How many weeks are you?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to biscotti For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (10-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hopefully you'll all be ok... Keep an eye out for a temperature and head to the docs if you notice one starting... We probably get exposed to chicken germs all the time without noticing... Just think of the deli worker who serves raw chicken breasts and then the next unknowing customer their ham... And next time order pizza lol!!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AllYouNeedIsLove For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (10-05-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i had a similar problem during my pregnancy.

firstly, sometimes chicken can appear pink under certain light because of the way the protein is structured in the meat. Secondly, it has to be infested with some type of bacteria or disease in order for you to get sick (which is unlikely).

With regard to food poisoning, that would show up a maximum of 5-7 hours later. So that one you can cross out pretty soon I would imagine.

With regard to toxoplasmosis, although there have been outbreaks in the past, most chicken processing places undergo regular checks to help prevent this disease so it is highly unlikely you have anything to worry about. Although i totally agree that raw chicken can be dangerous, the odds are on your side and i am sure you will be fine - we have all done stuff like this during pregnancy so you are not alone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ulysses For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (10-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Biscotti: I'm 29 weeks.
    Ulysses, I'm literally sighing with relief, thanks for your reply; it does seem that the odds are more than likely on my side.. I didn't know that the chicken had to be infected with disease or bacteria in order for me to become ill.. fingers crossed!
    My heart dropped when I saw how raw it was in the middle, I just felt sick with worry instantly.. you do so much to avoid this type of thing happening, cut out all the "bad" things and then something like this happens through no fault of my own.
    Will keep an eye out for any signs on both me and DS..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (11-05-2012)

biscotti is offline Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    i had a similar problem during my pregnancy.

firstly, sometimes chicken can appear pink under certain light because of the way the protein is structured in the meat. Secondly, it has to be infested with some type of bacteria or disease in order for you to get sick (which is unlikely).

With regard to food poisoning, that would show up a maximum of 5-7 hours later. So that one you can cross out pretty soon I would imagine.

With regard to toxoplasmosis, although there have been outbreaks in the past, most chicken processing places undergo regular checks to help prevent this disease so it is highly unlikely you have anything to worry about. Although i totally agree that raw chicken can be dangerous, the odds are on your side and i am sure you will be fine - we have all done stuff like this during pregnancy so you are not alone.
    I think though her concern is Listeria

Thanks
    Reviews
    The most likely thing you'll get from undercooked chicken is a gastro infection caused by Campylobacter. It is commonly found in a large proportion of poultry. I'm a microbiologist and it's the most commonly isolated cause of gastro that we see Generally self-limiting, some may require antibiotics in acute cases. Can take up to 10 days to kick in. If u get abdominal pain, diarrhoea, fever just get checked out by ur doc to stay on the safe side.

Really, don't worry. It's very common. I've had it twice!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hollychops For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (10-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    I think though her concern is Listeria
    As soon as I got home I looked through my Listeria pamphlets from the hospital.. I'm not sure if Listeria is as much of a concern as maybe Salmonella? Or E-coli? (sp?) Listeria can happen I think with cooked chicken that is served again cold at the wrong temperature/not kept cold enough..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    These things aren't common... as in, it's not something majority of women go through during pregnancy (listeria, salmonella, e-coli, etc), so seriously... try not to stress. Odds are on your side - nothing is likely to happen. Whatever is done is done now... but yeah, odds are... nothing is going to happen.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (10-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hollychops View Post
    The most likely thing you'll get from undercooked chicken is a gastro infection caused by Campylobacter. It is commonly found in a large proportion of poultry. I'm a microbiologist and it's the most commonly isolated cause of gastro that we see Generally self-limiting, some may require antibiotics in acute cases. Can take up to 10 days to kick in. If u get abdominal pain, diarrhoea, fever just get checked out by ur doc to stay on the safe side.

Really, don't worry. It's very common. I've had it twice!
    If it was just me, not pregnant, I probably wouldn't be that concerned... it's the being pregnant part that worries me.. and DS ate it, too.
    Could this Campylobacter thing harm an unborn baby? Or more likely just make me sick with the gastro like symptoms?