+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 7 mo dropping day BF- is this normal?

DS who is 7 mo weighs 12 kilos. We were having awful sleep/ feed issues and about 3 weeks ago spent a week at Tresillian. They were fantastic changed our solids routine and DS slept through the night and cut back from 6-7 bfeeds to 3-4. However now he has no interest in a day breast feed. He does get sips of water actually he loves sucking out of his cup. He has never had a bottle.

This week his feeding routine is
    7am solids
    8am bfeed
    10:30 morning tea ( usually yogurt)
    12 lunch
    12:30-45 bfeed ( if he wants it)
    3pm snack
    5pm dinner and dessert
    6:15-6:30 bfeed
    Once in the night he sometimes has a feed.

I don't want my supply to drop, he is teething ATM, got 2 teeth Sunday and 2 more are coming!

So is this normal at 7 mo to drop a day feed, as mentioned he loves his water. He is healthy and happy.

The solids routine is that suggested by the pead at Tresillian and whilst it surprised me it does work for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    that doesnt look like enough bf IMO but then my DD was demand fed till a year and feeds ranged a fair bit but she had at least 5/6 in 24hrs.

food is just fun till 1 so maybe less solids so your bub bfs more? cos I was pretty sure that before 1 its milk before solids so bub fills up on milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    He is probably not taking the breastfeeds cos he is still full from the solids, so your routine is encouraging the weaning.

My DD didn't start dropping feeds til around 12 months. I prefer to prioritise breastmilk over solids in the first year.

If you want him to feed more, you have to give him the opportunity. If you are happy with how things are then keep going, but there is the potential for early weaning.

His weight is awesome for 7 months, so your booby juice must have been doing lots of good things for him!
    Last edited by Bubbles10; 08-05-2012 at 18:56.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

MyLittleLilacTree  (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with bubbles10. Maybe try switching the bf - solids order, and if you like you could wait 30 mins to 1hr after bf to offer solids so there is room. Solids are much harder to digest so it's normal he is not ready for a bf straight after (or for a few hours after!)

Breastmilk is the most important part of the diet to 12 months so it's important it's offered first. It's for brain growth and immunity. Brain growth very rapid and bmilk has special fatty acids in it that are not found in normal family foods or cows milk.

As a guide, my 12 month old was having 6-7 breastfeeds per day, and now at 2 and a bit she is on about 3-4.

Like bubbles said your routine may lead to early weaning so something I be aware of if that's not what you want

Thanks
    Reviews
    It does look like a lot of solids and not many BF's, but if it means he is sleeping better, and not getting really constipated, I would stick to it!
    My 9mo went through a period of lots of solids (and sleeping better), but then since a bad teething period has gone back to virtually no solids and all bf's (and lots of night feeds).
    If it were me, I wouldn't worry about the dropping the feed, BUT both my kids have been major boobie monsters and would probably never refuse a BF, so I dunno really!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i also agree with previous pp i would still put bfing first before solids at least until 12 months.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would definitely be breastfeeding before meals as opposed to after, and feeding on demand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all.

I was more than surprised when the paed suggested BF after solids ( 1hr after) but decided to give it a go. Like I mention DS is a huge baby at 6 mo was 11kgs and only on Breast milk!!! So naturally he loves the solids. Since solids he is sleeping so much better.

I will wait untill these 2 teeth that are annoying him come through to see how we go. I guess I'm ok with him naturally weaning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It won't be natural weaning, because it is more routine induced, but that's ok if you are comfortable with that. If baby weans before 12 months, you will probably have to replace it with artificial baby milk.

lupa is offline I love that I am apart of this club called motherhood
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think volume is more important here than frequency. If he is very efficient at getting milk, and it sounds like he is by his weight, then 3-4 breastfeeding a day should be heaps and maybe that's what he feels. It's great that he loves his water too, and and if he can drink that during the day, that will help with his thirst if he's not having milk. If he's on a wide range of healthy solid foods I don't see anything wrong with this picture. At 12kgs, you must be doing something right!