+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1yr old poop question..sorry :)

I apologise upfront for the topic, but where else can i ask about baby poop lol

Are 1year olds suppose to have firm stool/poop?? What is normal?? My DS nearly 14months hasnt been firm since he first started solids at 5.5months. I have always put it down to formula or teething. But since changing to stage 3 formula & cows milk it appears worse (runnier, yellow, smellier, yucky). Coincidently molars are also coming through! I was waiting to fully wean off formula before talking to dr or trying soy...but until then, can it be common for a 1yr old (since approx 7months)to never be firm? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think I remember having similar issue with my DS around that age. I read to increase amount of rice, pasta, cereal, etc and less vegie and fruit (enough to meet RDI of course).
    EG: I was giving DS a lot of vegie soups / veg casserols etc, pureed fruit as snack etc. So I increased the above.
    It is called "toddler's diarrhea"
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/11...dler-diarrhea/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would ask a doctor about that.

My DS recently had a few days of less-solid poo but it went back to normal after 3-4 days. I put it down to teeth as he didn't seem sick.

I'd be checking it out if it was going on for that long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thought id post a quick reply incase anyone reads this who had similar issues. I followed up and checked with the local community health nurse that i have been seeing since my son was born. She said that everybub is different & that it is totally normal for bubs to continue to have runny or less firm poos until about 18 months. Obviously still get checked if anyone has concerns, but i am waiting this one out. I am already seeing a difference in the consistancy over the past month