+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i realise this is an old thread, and I haven't read it all, but my advice is to go with an independent builder that will let you customize plans, rather than a big company who charge you to make any alterations.

Also STORAGE STORAGE STORAGE! Do not skimp on storage. I have a tiny linen cupboard and I curse it daily!

Lots of power points, more than you think you'll need.

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by AreWeThereYet View Post
    i realise this is an old thread, and I haven't read it all, but my advice is to go with an independent builder that will let you customize plans, rather than a big company who charge you to make any alterations.
    Don't rule out all project builders ... we went with a large Qld company and made ALOT of changes to a standard plan and was not charged for moving rooms/walls around, infact they gave us credits in some cases We were only charged where I added more space/walls etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Perfect thread to find right now awesome tips!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm also thinking this thread is spot on for the info I need right now yay

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think that display home is for sale ATM in Baldivis.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read through so apologies if I'm repeating anything.

The best move we made was finding the right architect, we interviewed 5 before settling on ours and he's been amazing. I could never have conceived some of the design features he's developed for us, all from my wishy washy 'I want a thing with the you know and a whatsit on it' brief, everything has seemed to flow well from getting that deisgn stage right for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think look at lots and lots of display homes and make a list of what you like in each of them... for example I like shower niches and I also want to be able to customise them to the hieght of my shampoo bottle, I like lots of storage walk in pantry, linen, wardrobe and I want solid shelving not wire baskets, think about layout and zones, I wanted a parent zone, a family zone and a kid zone. We were going to go with one large builder who had the layout we wanted but when it came to the nitty gritty - everything we wanted was additional... slab for alfresco, linen and pantries, internal door to garage - can you believe it was just a square set opening as standard placed next to the kitchen - can you imagine the car fumes coming into the house everyday!!!! It was also extra for shower niches, exhaust fans to bathroom and ensuite...

I was starting to have second thoughts as costs were rising and rising and in my search for alternative house plans - I found another large company where all this plus more is standard!!! In our fixed price tender - we have shower niches, three in one exhaust fans for the ensuite and bathroom, the toilet is seperate from the bathroom - that's standard!! There is a bath in the ensuite as standard, triple stacker door to alfresco - standard!!! All my kitchen appliances, stone benchtops, sarking to the roof, standard!!! The base price of the house was $15000 more expensive but we are now getting a home that is 33squares with all those things we wanted... even the ducted air conditoning they put in is reverse cycled - other company was just cooling and we were paying for it!! The new builder is doing it as a promotion... I am feeling peace of mind now. Bring on December when the building process is guaranteed to start, at the moment we are dealing with paperwork and in the next few weeks I will be doing my colour process. Exciting times ahead!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So much good advice. Another question I had was about solar systems. What is the usual size for these? 2kw, 3kw etc? For a 260sqm home. Want to power house plus maybe sell some back into grid also how much do they normally cost to buy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most building company include it as standard now. But if u want to sell back to the grid go at least 3 kw also go higher if u can as the rate the government buys back lowers in about a week or two from 44c to 8c for new customers joining to this scheme