+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been thinking about this since the original paper got released online. From my reading of the abstract, the paper set out to specfically compare outcomes of various assisted fertility procedures. IVF outcomes were not statistically different to 'natural' conception whereas there were higher risks in the other techniques compared. There was correction made for confounders relating to the parents' own medical history.

I'm also pregnant through IVF with a TTC journey full of more downs than ups, as is probably the case with many others.

I've accepted the fact that regardless of how I conceive, I face a higher risk of birth defects, miscarriage and host of other potential complications that face an older woman trying to conceive her first baby with the added history of a string of pregnancy losses.

To my mind, IVF is a facilitating procedure. It brings together egg and sperm that may have their own genetic defects as a function of the parents' age and medical histories. Is it IVF or the gametes that are most responsible for the eventual outcome?

Also, outside of a genetic disorder, a child's long term health outcome is combination of genetic and environmental factors.
    Last edited by romaverona; 07-05-2012 at 14:15.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to romaverona For This Useful Post:

mybooboo  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    romaverona couldnt agree more!
    In my simplistic uneducated view this is just another prime example of "new" research on anything and everything that "comes to light" constantly.
    I fail to see how an IVF baby can, long term, have defining differing health issues.
    My 2 yo son was "made" via IVF due to my exes vas.
    I am currently 12 weeks pregnant with no 2 with my partner, natural. When I mentioned to friends how different this preg feels, the other day, two of them said yes well this is a NATURAL preg, so your body will react different and it is more NATURAL and knows what to do NATURALLY.. I was like REALLY??? WTF?? Does that mean that THIS pregnancy is different from my next hypothetically because this bub was concieved on the couch and not the bed? LOL LOL seriously... what the hellllll!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh this thread talks scary stuff!

I used to think IVF is un-natural cos I was ignorant and un-informed. Honestly even though my current pregnancy is through IVF, I find myself thinking it is un-natural some times, esp when there are hiccups along the way. I would think oh no I wonder what happened in the lab...and even though I have conceived, is there something not right blah blah blah esp when our NT results put us on high risk for DS recently, it made me wonder even more...fortunately all turned out fine after amnioicentesis. So I think I am wrong to think like this.

Even with my natural conception two years ago, it miscarried by itself. So what if it was natural, it didnt work.. So I also fail to see that my IVF child will have any problems in the future. I hope not, cos I do believe only a higher power can give life, even if the egg and sperm were put together by the embryologist. I know my IVF boy may carry his daddy's genes for MFI but I assume that is all.

I also worry about the IVF drug effects on my body in the long run but that is another topic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's a load of cr@p. My baby is just like any other baby, and will grow up just like everyone else. What a scaremongering thread to start. There has been nothing to suggest that at " 32" years " something might start to go wrong" pfft.. Don't get me started.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My concern was if there was an unknown donor, either through a clinic or at home, or for that matter a one night stand, that there would be an unknown medical history. But if there are no health issues into their 30s, I can't see why there would be later on based solely on how they were conceived. My cousin is an IVF baby, he is now 25 and has loads of health problems but he is also a couch potato on a steady diet of meat pies, cigarettes and rum, I do not believe any of his problems come down to him being conceived via IVF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    I think it's a load of cr@p. My baby is just like any other baby, and will grow up just like everyone else. What a scaremongering thread to start. There has been nothing to suggest that at " 32" years " something might start to go wrong" pfft.. Don't get me started.
    This

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    My concern was if there was an unknown donor, either through a clinic or at home, or for that matter a one night stand, that there would be an unknown medical history. But if there are no health issues into their 30s, I can't see why there would be later on based solely on how they were conceived. My cousin is an IVF baby, he is now 25 and has loads of health problems but he is also a couch potato on a steady diet of meat pies, cigarettes and rum, I do not believe any of his problems come down to him being conceived via IVF.
    Donors through clinics have to provide a medical history that IPs receive

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

share a book  (15-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    Donors through clinics have to provide a medical history that IPs receive
    Which is a lot more information than you get from a one night stand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the question is fair enough. No one really knows about long term effect on all the drugs etc that we take for IVF, because they haven't been around long enough for anyone to know! it's the same as any drug! We all just have to trust the doctors and scientists as much as we can.

And as for natural selection... Of course there is with IVF. Not all the eggs get fertilized, not all the fertilized eggs grow and develop, and not all the embryos produce a baby! If that's not natural selection, what is?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJWA For This Useful Post:

akakura  (17-05-2012),romaverona  (16-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post

What is the problem? I have 2 IVF children and I like being informed. If people, choose not to know, then don't reply to this thread. No one is saying something will happen, or that our children are different, or they are suddenly going to grow two heads. We are only commenting on what scientists are now saying. Is it a load of bull? No one knows.

Get a grip ladies. It is a topic for discussion. Not scaremongering!