+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default School Admin jobs?

Do these jobs always go to people already doing relief work at the school?
    I've been put off applying !

But I will LOL, is there any advice for applying for these jobs? I have worked in an office environment all my life so maybe that's an advantage, but any tips would be fantastic!!
    Last edited by sproggle; 14-05-2012 at 13:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not necessarily, especially if you have the right sort of admin experience. But doing some relief if you're able to may help you know what they are looking for.

Firstly, if it's at a gov school they should have a detailed job description and selection criteria available. Typically the ad will provide a link or contact to get this. Make sure that your application provides evidence that your skills/experience meet each of the stated criteria. Even use a title for each paragraph eg. Advanced Microsoft Office experience. In my current role I..... etc etc and point out the experience/training.

Typically you will provide a cover letter where will provide the specifics of how you meet the criteria and a CV which will detail your actual training and qualifications. Also if the ad mentions the school's philosophy etc, point out anything that aligns you with that.

Finally, for govt school jobs, don't be disheartened if you don't get it. In most states the positions must be advertised, even if they have someone internal in mind for the position. Plus often permanent employees can be referred to the position by the department and the school get no choice in who they get in the end.