ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My brother and I seem to attract the 5% of psychopaths and peadophiles that live on this planet.

I won't be drilling stranger danger into DS, but danger of people in general. Anyone can be dangerous, even people you thought you could trust.

His freedom won't be taken away though!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to captainscaptain For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (30-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    I spent just under half my life in a very unsafe country (South Africa) but my parents still let us kids ride our bikes to friends house, the shop, the park, the pools etc by ourselves.
    Wow! We were in South Africa until I was about 6 years old. We weren't even allowed in the back yard alone, not even with our 10ft walls and razor wire.

My mom got shot twice in the chest and survived. That was the last straw - I'm so glad we got out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up in Birkenhead/Liverpool area in the UK so these kinds of things happened allll the time.
    We knew we had known pedophiles living in our area, we knew who they were and we knew to stay away from them. There were always stories of kids being assaulted by 'peado gary' and 'crazy john from 26'. It was just something that was brushed under the carpet most of the time.
    Loads of things happened to me and my family, most of them actually came from members of my family, so it isn't just strangers I am weary of.

Even now, when I ring back home it's like an episode of some crime show.
    So and so's daughter was raped by that guy from across the road, you remember Gary, well him, she was just coming home from netball and he grabbed her.'
    Your cousin ****** was raped by her next door neighbour, remember the one that used to babysit them, there is a court date set for next month'.
    Sharon's little boy was nearly snatched outside of tescos on Friday'.
    Sue from next door to Holly's place has had all 3 of her kids taken off her because they found out she'd been leaving them with a known pedophile while she goes down the pub'.
    A little girl was sexually assaulted in Sainsburys toilets.
    Duffys little girl was murdered up on Bidston Hill last week when she was out walking the dogs for her pocket money.

You think im exaggerating...im not. I hear these stories All. The. Time. In detail.

It is no wonder I am over protective of my daughter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was 10 I was walking to the park with my sister who was 12 and my brand new baby sister (in the pram), they used to have these tall trees along the side of the path and a man walked trough them and flashes us. We were young and thought it was gross etc., and we kept walking. He followed us and repeatedly flashed us so we started running and he chased us all the way home. My dad came out because by this stage we were screaming and he had a cricket bat in his hand he was going to kill this guy who eventually ran off. It doesn't seem like much to some people but that scared the crap out of me, i still remember what he looks like, I don't think it will ever leave me.

When I was 14 I was walking home from school with my bf and we were bashed by 5 guys I had never seen before. I managed to run away and I left my bf there, I still feel so guilty about it anything could have happened to him. We obviously are no longer together but we are friends and I often tell him how sorry i am for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot to say that is why i am an overprotective mummy which was totally the point I was trying to get at

Thanks
    Reviews
    A paedophile visited our caravan park with a bunch of school kids when I lived in Mt Isa (he was the bus driver), didn't do anything to me because I kept my distance (I just knew there was something about him that made me uncomfortable) but did molest one of my brothers, and a few other children. Probably more than that experience, however, my job will influence how much freedom I give my kids. I'm a psychologist and I get to meet so many people who have been abused/raped, usually by people they know. I'm sure it's given me a warped view of just how dangerous the world is. It's taught me, though, how important it is for kids to know what kind of behaviour from others is unacceptable - I've met a few people who had no idea they had been abused/raped until they reached high school or even later in life, they just thought it was a crappy yet normal part of life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a weird moment when I was about 8 or 9.

I hated going to BBQs etc where my parents were away from me and my parents felt the same.

There was a BBQ where the kids were watching a video and parents were outside but there was a teenage boy who was creepy, grabbing his crotch rubbing his pants trying to get some of the younger girls to go into a dark closet with him. Some of the boys started (what I recognise now) to get a pack mentality, egging him on, grabbing the girls as well.

I wanted to be with mum and dad so I came outside and some random guy intercepted me and tried to herd me back inside by grabbing my shoulders and spinning me around, pushing me laughing at my growing distress, calling me a sook, telling me kids stay inside.

My dad saw it and crash tackled the guy into the wall and asked me what happened, once I told him he let go off the random dude who grabbed me but said something to him that him made him go very pale and then he dragged out the teenager and made him tell the whole place what he was doing to the girls.
    Turned out he was a neighbour whose parents weren't even there.

All the parents flipped, the party was over - it was awful, fortunately nothing had happened but what could've happened? The mind boggles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    I grew up in Birkenhead/Liverpool area in the UK so these kinds of things happened allll the time.
    We knew we had known pedophiles living in our area, we knew who they were and we knew to stay away from them. There were always stories of kids being assaulted by 'peado gary' and 'crazy john from 26'. It was just something that was brushed under the carpet most of the time.
    Loads of things happened to me and my family, most of them actually came from members of my family, so it isn't just strangers I am weary of.

Even now, when I ring back home it's like an episode of some crime show.
    So and so's daughter was raped by that guy from across the road, you remember Gary, well him, she was just coming home from netball and he grabbed her.'
    Your cousin ****** was raped by her next door neighbour, remember the one that used to babysit them, there is a court date set for next month'.
    Sharon's little boy was nearly snatched outside of tescos on Friday'.
    Sue from next door to Holly's place has had all 3 of her kids taken off her because they found out she'd been leaving them with a known pedophile while she goes down the pub'.
    A little girl was sexually assaulted in Sainsburys toilets.
    Duffys little girl was murdered up on Bidston Hill last week when she was out walking the dogs for her pocket money.

You think im exaggerating...im not. I hear these stories All. The. Time. In detail.

It is no wonder I am over protective of my daughter.
    GothChick - small world. I was born in Birkenhead!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by captainscaptain View Post
    Wow! We were in South Africa until I was about 6 years old. We weren't even allowed in the back yard alone, not even with our 10ft walls and razor wire.

My mom got shot twice in the chest and survived. That was the last straw - I'm so glad we got out!
    Oh my god

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Bboys View Post
    GothChick - small world. I was born in Birkenhead!
    No way! How funny! Aren't you glad you don't live there now! Apparently the whole place is going to pot. I lived there till I was 18, crappiest days of my life.