ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    At about 5 a man threatened to put a screwdriver through my throat.
    At about 13/14 I had a man offer me a lift home. When he realised I wasn't going to go with him he went back and locked his car. I ran for the closest house but he got me before I could reach a house. I didnt want him to know where I lived so I took the long route home which he followed me, trying to push me into bushes, trying to kiss me, pushing me up against a wall and putting his hands up my school top etc. I ended up calling a male friend and told him what was going on and made out that my friend was going to come pick me up. The guy eventually backed off and went back to his car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was chased by 3 ppl 2 males 1 female ages 40-60 in a car when i was 14

Broad daylight and started in my street.

My dad drummed stranger damger & security in me from a young age, probably a little more than he should have

But it was a blessing on that day as i realized immediately that something wasnt right and having lived there my whole life i knew my way around and was able to get away

I was shaken up and slept in my fathers room for a week, everytime i heard a noise or a car that sounded like theirs i freaked out

Having said that i wasnt forever affected by it.
    Having said that... I dont let my kids out of my site, only family that have proved themselves get to babysit my kids & daycare (not that i trust them 100%)

They arent allowed anywhere but the backyard without me and that doesnt even happening regularly.

I just dont trust many people and for good reasons.

People in this world can be sick and i would never forgive myself if it happened and i could have easily prevented it.

But iv never done it in a way that will scare my kids from trusting people, i do it in a way thats like, these are the rules and the rules will change as you get older and mature.

At the end of the day i know iv done everything i can to prevent terrible situations and the rest is up to - well whoever it is up there that decides where our lives will go

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was flashed in Big W once

Personally I'm not such a worrier about stranger danger as such, I'm just aware that there are a lot of dangers around and I'd rather watch over them then trust that they will be able to make the right decisions or protect themselves in a dangerous situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have experienced things that make me very scared, very wary of people in general nor just strangers, I was sleeping with mum one night when I was 11or so and a family friend came in and r.aped her while I lay right next to her, we got u to get ready for school one day to find my mother being r.aped in bed by a different family friend, the same family friend who would always offer to come wash out backs while we were having baths as kids... now that's the first time I've ever talked about those incidents since they happened.. I trust nobody.. ever...

Sent from my Racer using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by spitthedummy View Post
    I have experienced things that make me very scared, very wary of people in general nor just strangers, I was sleeping with mum one night when I was 11or so and a family friend came in and r.aped her while I lay right next to her, we got u to get ready for school one day to find my mother being r.aped in bed by a different family friend, the same family friend who would always offer to come wash out backs while we were having baths as kids... now that's the first time I've ever talked about those incidents since they happened.. I trust nobody.. ever...

Sent from my Racer using BubHub
    Huge hugs to you and your mum. How awful for both of you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    sorry, in the other thread, the one that is a spin off from I said that I am a bit oh a helicopter parent. So yeah I'm influenced by my parents to give my kids the same amount of protection they gave me because it worked so well in keping me safe and allowing me a happy, trouble free childhood....something all kids should get to experience
    My mum was the same. She never let us out of her sight at gatherings and so forth, she pretty much trusted nobody. We had a family friend who used to bring us treats and was a bit too friendly, so mum just never let him be alone with us (he was one of my Dad's childhood friends, grew up across the road from Dad). As a result of this vigilance, I had a great childhood and nothing bad ever happened.

My innocence was taken much later at the age of 21 when a guy attempted to assault me when I was walking to the gym. But being 21 and the fact that I got away easily (was wearing runners, very conveniently), meant that I wasn't affected negatively by it. I ran to the police station straight away to report it, and I think that giving my verbal statement to police helped de-brief a bit.

My upbringing has definitely affected my parenting style. I will never let my kids out of my sight (apart from at daycare/school), and ensure that they get through childhood with their innocence in tact just like I did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beccacino View Post
    When I was 11years old, the 12 year old daughter of my family's best friend family (our parents were best friends and us kids were all best friends) was murdered, by a stranger, on the way to school. 20 years later we are all closer than ever but there is still a hole where one of us used to be. My parents attitude changed after that, we had to go OSHC for longer than probably planned. My parenting attitude is definitely the "trust nobody" approach.
    Oh my goodness for you and both families. How awful! Did they find out who did it?

I personally had a free range childhood (only rule was to be home by the time the streetlights came on) and also had several incidents as a child. Flashers, dodgy older men, etc. And something more sinister that I largely don't remember but is coming back more and more in terrible flashbacks.

My family think I'm over the top with the precautions I take with my girls, but if what happened to me as a child happens to them, then I will NEVER forgive myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am EXTREMELY lucky in the fact I had a very free range childhood and had NO stranger danger experiences at all.

As a toddler/child my father raced motorbikes so I romed the race tracks by myself, and with other kids no worries (mum was lap scoring). we moved to the gold coast an i was always walking to parks etc by myself, riding my bike around the streets/forest etc, catching the bus everywhere.

My mother is very much a helicopter grandmother these days though and even though I had a free childhood i am a helicopter parent. It just gives me peace of mind, I'll teach him about it when he's older!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I spent just under half my life in a very unsafe country (South Africa) but my parents still let us kids ride our bikes to friends house, the shop, the park, the pools etc by ourselves. I shudder to think about what could very easily have happened to us, I often wonder if there is a lot I have blocked out - I just can't believe we all came out alive and untouched, you know?
    Then moving to Australia and life became a lot safer, but I still can not imagine letting my DDs do what I was doing when I was just 2 years older than my eldest (she is 4). I can not imagine letting her go to the park down the road at 6 years old, not to mention walking to school by herself and leaving her at home alone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bell&Bug, even my mum acknowledges that she wouldn't be as free range now as she was
    back in the 80s+90s.
    Is that the benefit of hindsight or a sign of the times? Who knows really. I remember reading a while ago that opportunistic assault has not really risen (per capita) since the 70s/80s. In fact maybe the most important factor in the 'increase' in figures is the fact that women report it more frequently now. I believe that this is due to less stigma these days.

ETA: however, just because there is perhaps less stigma nowadays, I don't believe this makes it any easier to report any form of abuse.
    Last edited by MamaC; 29-04-2012 at 23:53.