Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Kill the Nits!

My sister and I have been battling the nit craze for about 6months now and it's driving us insane! We're doing the kids (3- 6yo, 5yo and a 2yo) probably every week- us probably every 2 weeks. We're putting tea tree oil in their hair every day. We just can't seem to get rid of them!

So, tell me your best treatment plan? or Product?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ban Lice treatment every night as per instructions. Put conditioner through hair and comb with nit comb. Place nit comb in disinfectant. After that, in a spray bottle fill 2/3 with olive oil then equal parts tea tree oil and lavender oil. Leave on hair overnight. In the morning rinse it out, put some leave-in conditioner in hair then comb out. Change sheets and strip pillows then hang in the sun. Do that daily for 10 days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't get me started. I get rid of them and a week later she brings them home again! I've had it. You know why this is happening because of all the over the counter crap. The lice are immune to it.
    And it's no good if other kids have them because they spread like fire.
    They are probably everywhere in school carpet and all.
    I do vinegar every week. Plus conditioner. I don't even think its possible to get every single egg out.
    Im so fed up and what gets me is the parents at the school who do nothing about it.
    I seriously think every child should be checked at school and then sent straight home if they have live lice. Teach the parents a lesson. I mean I stand there in the morning watching kids scratch their heads right in front of the parents and they do nothing.
    Yea I'm being a cow this morning cause I spent half of last night dealing with them and no doubt to tonight will be the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our school still do checks. They picked it up with dd twice now and caught it before she had too many. She wasn't even scratching yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Our school still do checks. They picked it up with dd twice now and caught it before she had too many. She wasn't even scratching yet.
    Your lucky, our school doesn't. Wish they would.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Public schools aren't allowed to, and not all private schools bother. It would be good if they all did, I agree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I found the overnight olive oil treatment after using a lice product works the best for us.

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    I seriously think every child should be checked at school and then sent straight home if they have live lice. Teach the parents a lesson. I mean I stand there in the morning watching kids scratch their heads right in front of the parents and they do nothing.
    We used to put a head lice checking permission form in our enrollment package and send it home at the beginning of the school year everyone else. We used to get half back and could only check the kids in the class with the reported case, not even sibling classes. Any checked child would then be isolated until their parents showed up. Sometimes this was from 10am until after school, or even during after school care time. I always felt sorry for the poor isolated kid as everyone always knew. We have called parents if we see one scurrying while working with a child. I'm not sure if it still happens as there was talk of getting rid of checks due to it not being effective, with only some families giving consent. Being only p/t now I don't always hear the outcome of decisions.

The department rule is also that you can't attend school with live nits but eggs are ok. Too bad if one hatched while at school. I totally understand your frustration.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I completely agree JanesMum. It's frustrating as all get out. I've shaved DS head once and if we don't get them this time- I'll be doing it again (and he doesn't have really long hair). I would be all for checking, sending him, even treating them at the school!

Are nits affected by weather? They seem worse this year than last year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Just remembered after you have treated your kids and they are nit free use a thick layer hair spray to help them not get reinfected while there is a outbreak at school.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast