ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know how I'd feel with a male midwife, guess it'd depend on the midwife and his bedside manner.

BUT, Dh would tell him where to go. My Dh is very uncomfortable with the idea. I have had some medical issues, and problems with my cervix, Dh could not handle a male gp checking it. I think he'd punch a male midwife if one comes into the labour room.

I'm due in 10 days, so, unfortunately, if a male midwife, no matter how good or experienced were to be on duty, I will have to say no thanks, if only to avoid a possible assault charge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a young male trainee dr at ds birth... I have a pic of him with bubs later that day, he was still beaming from the experience. I think it's sad men are often not perceived of being worthy of these roles. Hubby caught both our boys and is very proud of that, unfortunately when you tell that to both some men and women they feel its ok to tell us how unpleasant they think that would be... If i hear its like watching your favourite pub burn down one more time i don't know what ill do!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Double post...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I havent had a male midwife, but did have a male obs who was there for the birth, and is the reason I didnt end up with an episiotomy the midwife was so eager for him to give me, and only ended up with a mild graze. I also chose my male obs because of his caring attitude, and profesional manner, not on his sex.

I wouldnt hesitate at all with a male midwife, and my DH wouldnt either. I wouldnt have a problems with a female nurse giving my husband a prostate exaination, whilst I acknowledge child birth is a different journey than the example used the professionalism & rapport of the nurse themself isnt dicated by gender.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep! And I LOVED him. You could probably find my posts on here in early 2010 about freaking about about having a male midwife but he was fantastic! I don't think I could have gotten through the birth of DD without him - it was right down to them prepping the room for an emergency c-sect but his encouragement to keep pushing got me to get DD out before I needed it <p>

I thought I'd freak about having him see my bits, but I had one foot on his hip, one on DFs to push, and they were as cool as cucumbers (except df whinging he needed to pee - pfft!)
    <p>
    I'll add that I saw him from 20ish weeks onwards so I was comfortable with him during the lead up to the birth - like many have said, I actually found the female middies to be a lot rougher and a bit more "get over it, everyone does this" IYKWIM?<p>
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub
    Last edited by Bellaxo; 26-04-2012 at 14:53.