View Poll Results: Best working hrs wth young children (age 6mth - 2yr)

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4 days per week - 10am-3pm

1 7.69%
  • 3 days a week - roughly 9am - 4pm-ish

10 76.92%
  • Other - pls explain

2 15.38%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Best working hours with young child/ren?

Just wondering what you all think are the best working hours when you have young children?

I am going to have to return to work probably when bub is 6mths old and wondering how many hours and what sort of hours would be best?

Boss is pushing for 10-3 x 4days, while I initially thought normal 3 days with longer hours?

But in reality what have you found is better (Especially when bub was less then 18mths old?)

4 days per week would mean shorter hrs in care for bub, prob less stress before and after work to get things done.

3 day would mean 4 full days at home to run the house, spend quality time with bub, be able to do activities. But would also mean longer days in childcare?

But would it be a big deal for a little one to stay in childcare an extra couple of hrs if they get a full day at home extra?

BTW - cost wise it is equal for to do 3 or 4 days as the boss will be paying my childcare fees (although it could be a good bargaining tool to work 3 days instead of 4) Do you pay per day or hrs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have done 4 days 9-4 one of which was a Saturday and that suited me as I had good reliable childcare. DD was not even 3 months old and financially I didn't have a choice this time around I'm in a much better place dd2 is due in July this year so I'm thinking I will look at going back to work in Feb next year but will probably make it 3 days 8-5. I'm lucky my DD loves daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think 3 days per week. I do 5 days and the job is crazy easy and boring but my house is falling apart. My entire home life and free time is dedicated to cooking and cleaning. It is just too much for someone without a wife lol.

I don't think the little one would notice a couple of hours extra if it means he/she stays home for an extra day.

I've made it clear if I have another child I won't be working more than 3 days per week. No way. No how.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally, I would do the 3 full days, for a couple of reasons:

*for me I pay by the day, but there are centres and family day care who pay by the hour, so I financially regardless of how many hours your child spends at daycare at the centre DS is at I would be paying for the full day anyway.

*4 days at home, the full days I get would FAR make up for the few hours I miss out on during the working days. Mainly because at the end of a working day, I'm tired. Finishing an hour early, and starting later wouldnt change that I'd still be drained. Then coming home, mentally tired, dinner, bed time etc. I'd rather just do that 3 days than 4.

DS went to daycare at 7 months, he had a great little routine, and it was harder for me to let him go than anything else I think. After I have Bub#2 I am going to work 3 days in the office, a day at home and a day off. If they really wanted you for 4 days could you work from home for one of them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    9-4 might fit better if bub naps 9-11 & 1-3. if u did 10-3 you would have to try and work getting her to carers around her morning nap which would be hard to do...

also, depending on type of care you might be paying for more days if you work the four days, with only an extra hours pay as a benefit

id do the three days 9-3 myself. get it over and done with :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went back when DS was 8 months old and work 3 days per week, full time hours. Yes the days are longer but no way would I want to work 4 days. 2 days gives me enough time to arrange activities with DS, and also to ensure the house is in some kind of order. 4 days is almost full time again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd definitely want to go with longer hours but fewer days. I'd actually be pushing for 9-5pm 2 days and then the 3rd day being a half day (say 9-1) which would still be 20 hours per week.

I think once your LO is settled into care for the day, a few extra hours won't make much difference if it means that bub has more full days at home. I'd be pushing for the short 3rd day so that either you can pick bubs up and have an afternoon at home or else, leave bubs in care for a couple of hours while you use that time to grocery shop or run errands etc.

That would be my preference. If boss was dead against the spread of hours that way, I would comprimise and do 3 days with whatever hours he preferref but I definitely wouldn't be agreeing to 4 days. I would think it would be cheaper for him too as if he is paying for childcare, he will more than likely pay per day so he'd be better off paying for 3 fuller days rather than 4 shorter ones. I don't know any child care centres around her that charge per hour.

All the best with your decision!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do 3 days. The hard part is getting everybody up and out of the house so I figure the less days I have to do this the better.

Once you are up and out it's probably easier to do longer days.

I also do my days all in a row so I have a start and end to the working week. And a 4 day weekend every week!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just personally, shorter days is better. I so clearly remember being a little kid and thinking half an hour was an eternity.

10-3 sounds perfect to me. The child(ren) will have a sleep and a good play either side of that yet you still have time in morning and early evening to hang with them.

Anyway that's what I'd prefer as I believe shorter days is better for bub to adjust.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with 3 days,.which is what I do. An extra full day at home is much more useful than an extra hour here and there, I pay childcare by the day, and once bub is settled into daycare, an extra hour or two is less disruptive than a whole extra day. That's just me though! I do as PP suggested, 10-3 on Monday and 9-5 tues and weds.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub