+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Melbourne midwife vs. doula & medicare

Hello, I am pregnant with bubba #2 and I really want to have a natural birth this time round. With DS I tried my best to plan for a natural birth but was overwhelmed by the pain in the end and had gas & pethidine. DS wasnt crying when born, I had the pethidine very close to the birth and he was out of it and not breathing well so they had to push him of of my belly by hand because he got stuck at the shoulders. Obviously he is fine and beautiful but I would really like to avoid anything similar this time around. What I want is either a doula or midwife to be of support during the birth. I dont care about all the postnatal support usually included in the packages and i fully understand how birth works. I just want someone in favour of natural birthing (preferably even hypnobirthing or calmbirthing or water birthing). I also need it to be affordable even rebated to some degree. I know they exist but Im buggered if i know where to look for midwifes supported by medicare in melbourne, any experiences?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Check out here http://www.maternitycoalition.org.au...ndex.php?id=15

Belinda Henkel is lovely, and i think she is medicare accredited.

some midwives from Mama (midwives and mothers australia) and Midwives Naturally are medicare accredited -

At this stage, midwives can only claim medicare for antenatal and postnatal services, not the birth. So maybe talk to non-accredited midwives too, if you think their philosophy matches yours, because the money may not be too different and sometimes it is more important to be with someone you like.

An experienced student midwife may also be able to offer what you are looking for.
    Last edited by Bubbles10; 24-04-2012 at 12:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where abouts are you? There is a caseload midwife program out of Sunshine hospital that services a large surrounding area including homebirths and hospital births. I highly reccomend them and they are free in the public system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Bubbles10 I did email mama but havent heard back from them yet. Damn! I was hoping the birth would rebated, maybe they will let me choose a less involved package i just simply cant afford the full antenatal and postnatal care

Hi timestwo I did look into sunshine hospital but is that optional? Obviously the homebirth one would be but I know last time at the womens i asked if i could be in the cosmos program and they said no its randomly selected. I would have liked to have a homebirth too but my partner is against it so i didnt really mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I thought I replied to this yesterday but put it in the wrong thread! We have a private midwife and as others have said the birth attendance fee is not claimable. We also paid a few hundred for a "management" fee. We get $45 for each visit and they cost $110. All in all it will likely cost us about $2.5k out of pocket including six post natal visits. I couldn't recommend it highly enough! But if the cost is still an issue then perhaps a student midwife or doula could help.

We also paid $450 for a calm birth workshop with our midwife on top of that.

Hope this helps - good luck with your decision!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    if you ring midwives who work more independently (not in a practise like mama) they may be more willing to work with what you want, rathar than pre-detemined schedule.

have you considered Mercy birth centre? you need to book in for a tour before you can try to book in for birth.