ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    My mother was a SAHM when we were young. She started working again when we were in late primary school/early high school. She only ever did unskilled work though even though she was university educated.

I didn't work for about a year from being 9 months pregnant til DS1 was 11 months. Ever since then i've worked casual/part time unskilled jobs.
    I don't share my mother views on most things. In her eyes leaving a child in daycare is wrong and makes you a terrible mother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm the complete opposite to my Mum. She was very much the SAHM whilst us kids were growing up. My Dad has always made a comfortable living so she has never had the pressure to work. She has had casual jobs over the years, but nothing she ever committed to for very long (and usually they were school hours jobs). My brother has a mild intellectual disability, so a lot of her time has been dedicated to helping him.

I have always worked full time - I Had 5 months off when I had DS, & my DH is a SAHD during the day when I'm at work (he works nights/weekends casually). So I guess you could call me the breadwinner. If I didn't have such a great job I would have insisted that DH return to work so I could stay at home, but we have an effective arrangement right now & are fortunate not to have to spend $ on childcare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My mum always worked when we were really young, sometimes 2 jobs - but not for a career initially, it was purely for financial reasons. We were lucky that Dad did shift work so there was always a parent home with us.

I'm currently on 12mth mat leave and will then be returning to work. I have a very lucrative career and love my job...but I'm still only going back for financial reasons. I hope for our next bub we're in a better financial position that allows me to stay home longer. But I'll always return to work eventually for several reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My mum has to work as my father was an ar$ehole, and when they split up us kids went to go and live with my grandparents for several years and my grandmother was a SAHGM. Then when I was 11 we went to live with my Dad and my step-monster and she was a lazy SAHM - (us kids did most of the housework before and after school and weekends)I have always been a working mother, and been back to full time once DS was 1
    Last edited by WorkingClassMum; 21-04-2012 at 21:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My mum was a SAHP till we were in school but we knew how much she suffered by not working during that time. She told us of the lack of play money and independence for her so no new clothes or shoes and my dad wasn't cluey enough to notice.

I now work part time just to keep my own independence. I don't want to ever be in my mums shoes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My father was in the navy so mum became a SAHM and my DS is only 6 months at the moment so I'm only doing 2 days a week but when he is closer to two years old I would love to return to full time work. But my mum did have only 4 children and I'm happy with just the one.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum went back to FT work when we started primary school, and dad dropped his hours so he was home to do school pick up. Then they split and we went to after care/had au pairs etc. Mum would get home around 5/5.30. She's absolutely my role model, I couldn't even imagine not having a career. Mum retired this year and i couldn't be prouder of her. She did an amazing job of raising us by herself and building up her career. Two equally important jobs and she did them both full justice.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My mum and dad both worked full time from when I was a baby, my nana looked after me until I went to school.... Then they had my brother, and nana was too old to care for him full time, so he went to daycare full time from 12 weeks....

I don't blame mum though, she was a teacher in an era where you either returned full time, or didn't return at all!!

I am a bit different, with DD I had 12 weeks off but went back part time and was studying towards my 'career'. With DS I had established my career and was able to take 18 months off, then I resigned and have been working part time in a volunteer capacity for the past 3 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum worked part time most of my childhood, except when we lived overseas as expats and she got to be a full-time bridge player and socialite. She has had a few different careers but really only worked for financial reasons. I'm in a completely different situation to her, so not really sure what I would have done in her situation..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have noticed some things between my mother and I and how it is with my dd and I. But there are a few differences.

I have half sisters on my dads side, but I'm the only child for my mother.
    I always said I would have more than one child.. Now that I have 1 I don't want any more.
    I'm just happy with one (that's what my mum use to say )
    But that could change at a later stage.

My parents are divorced and wedding aniversarys obviously were a big deal so I never knew the date my parents got married.

They were married on the 14/04
    Dh and I were married on the 14/04

Hubby and I didn't even know this until i came across mums wedding certificate. Mum said she didn't find it relevant to tell me.
    I'm a bit spooked by it! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Bboys View Post
    If you are a working mother, was your mother a working mother also?

If you are a SAHM, was your mother a SAHM also?
    Mum was a stay at home mum until I was 2.
    I am a stay at home mum, dd is 15mo so I don't know if i will be like mum when she is a bit older

Mum never had a career/qualification, I do.
    It was something she always pushed me to do!! Which I'm obviously grateful for now

Mum had PND with me, I had it with DD.

So there is definitely some similarities
    I just hope my choice in a husband doesn't turn out to be the same out come as her
    Although I'm pretty confident it won't be like that. Well I hope!!!!