+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Following your Mothers lead

I have noticed an apparent cycle within my circle of friends.

It seemed that generally those who had mothers that had established careers, seemed to follow that lead also.

Those who had SAHMs seem to have followed that lead.

Obviously there are exceptions to this rule & I have generalized here but I am curious to know.

If you are a working mother, was your mother a working mother also?

If you are a SAHM, was your mother a SAHM also?

I'm not looking to start any arguments, I'm just genuinely curious as to whether this cycle exists in the broader community or if it's just an interesting pattern within my own social circle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mother worked in a casual position when I was a child so she was home during my school hours. For my siblings she worked both casually and later full time.

My mother never sat me down and told me never to rely on a man to meet my financial needs but she did tell me this indirectly through comments here and there and through her actions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an established career and have just gone back part time. Ds is 15 months. Plan to go back full time once last child we have is about 2. Mum was a SAHM my whole life (still is) and this has absolutely affected my choice.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My mum is still married, worked while we were really little, then was a SAHM, then went back to work when I was about 11. She now has a career.

I am single and have been a stay at home mum all DD's life (8 years). Currently studying to enable me to have a career. Little bit different as I am single so there is no real choice other than to go back to work (although I actually want to). My mother wanted to work.

My mum also did lots of craft and baking of which I do none

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I can't remember my mother ever having stayed home. I've always remembered gong to day care so she could go to work. I'm a SAHM and will be until I've finished having children an the youngest is at school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mother has always worked, only now does she stay at home but she still does the books for dads business. So technically..
    She still works...
    I find that mum was always there when we needed her around, it was like she was just a SAHM anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My mother stayed at home until all through our childhoods, to her detriment as she lost work skills, confidence and was left in a very bad financial position when she separated from my father.

I think this probably partly influenced me to keep working at least part time, as well as financial reasons, of course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum was a SAHM and I suppose yes it has influenced me to be a SAHM, DH and I are happy with that at the moment I am trying to find some evening work from about 8pm-1am while Ds is sleeping, this is so we don't have to be as tight with money as we were so used to just going to buy what we wanted when we wanted it but now with not having my wage things are a lot tighter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was raised by a SAHD until I was 7. My mum worked 3 jobs and is now a very successful landscape designer. My dad works 20 hours a week and is a bit of a boy toy for his long term partner who makes good money.

I'm a SAHM, I am not going back to my career and am unsure if I'll ever attempt a career again. I'm a happy homemaker.

I have my mum's work ethic, but fortunately didn't inherit her complete lack of maternal feeling and desire.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum was why you would loosely call a stay at home mum, she was a drug addict and alco, and we often went with out because of this and the fact she didn't work we had no money or stability.
    I however haven't had many job and am at the moment a stay at home
    Mum and will be for a long time doing all the things my mum didn't do for us.