+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Communion depends on the church. Some do it once a month, every fortnight or every week.
    The Church of Christ (very conservative) I went to as a kid did it every week. The Presbyterian church I was part of did it once a month. I've been in AOG churches like Hillsong and they do it occasionally. I go to a Uniting church now and they do it fortnightly.
    Doesn't really help clarify does it!!!??

Thanks
    Reviews
    subscribing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Thanx for that... If u are correct and if the website represents correctly the catholic understanding of this is, I guess I am wrong. I never really put that much thought into it and through all my catholic schooling/church going there was never a mention of whether or not she was sinless. It was more about her being pure, chaste, humble, prayerful and so on...
    I'll look into it further when I have some time... It doesn't change anything about my spirituality tho.. With or without original sin I will continue to see her in that same pure light that I always have...

Is communion a sacrament in all other churches? Don't people receive it whenever they want? Is there an actual first communion as such celebrated in all of Christianity?
    As far as I know, yes. Communion is considered a sacrament in the major protestant denominations. The finer beliefs (such as it being a representation of the blood and body of Christ or whether it actually becomes - or at least partly - the body and blood) vary as does when each church celebrates it and who can receive it. In the Catholic church, you must be Catholic to participate in communion. Most other denominations practice "open communion" where anyone can have it, provided that they identify as a Christian and believe that Jesus died and rose again, for them.

First Communion is celebrated in other denominations, such as Anglican and Lutheran, where infant baptism is practiced. It is then usually followed by confirmation at a later age, where the child can confirm the promises that were made for them at their baptism. Churches that practice believer's baptism (where you need to be old enough to make the choice yourself) don't do first communion or confirmation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We do communion at home as we're allergic... He he bit funny but thought if throw that in there!! Lol

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSky View Post
    If your Dh is pentecostal, there will probably be a lot of things in the Catholic faith that contradict his own beliefs. Others have mentioned many here:

- Emphasis on Mary being sinless and the belief that she is able to intercede on our behalf to God
    - Saints and the belief that they too can intercede on our behalf
    - The Pope
    - Infant baptism, holy communion and then confirmation (some protestant churces do this too but not Pentecostals)
    - The Catholic church has 7 sacriments whereas everyone else has 2
    - Purgatory

There are more but these are few of the biggies. IMO the vast majority of practising pentecostals will have an issue with the above and therefore, with a Catholic education.
    I was chatting about this to a fairly strict Baptist friend recently about his decision to send his daughter to a Catholic boarding school.

I'm a pretty conservative Catholic but teach ecumenical scripture sometimes at the public school I teach at. It's helpful to recognise what different groups believe and those areas Rainbow Sky highlighted are probably the real biggies, along with communion for Catholics being Jesus' real Presence.

However, I would like to point out that there is so much more that unites us than divides us, as someone on the first page pointed out.

Catholic schools will not always teach exactly what you believe (or even what Catholics believe, if they're non-Catholic or non-practising teachers, for example). But they are still Christ-focused schools, which is one of the reasons why so many non-Catholic children attend them.

Like BrownSugar, I didn't realise until I was an adult that the immaculate conception did not apply to Jesus but to Mary, according to Catholic tradition.

In response to ShanandBoc, (sorry if its off the OP) we must remember that the Bible does not represent everything Jesus and His followers said and did. There's not enough space!

St Paul recognised this when he was frequently explaining stuff which was not in the Gospels. Of course, it all fits together but Christians often do and believe things which may not be spelled out explicitly in a biblical quote (eg. Prolife stuff).

Catholics believe that Jesus left authority with the Church to interpret the grey areas which would come up. Thus, in Acts, Sts Peter and Paul and other apostles began making decisions about what Jesus meant which later became Church Tradition. Catholics believe that St Peter's successor still has that authority.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsd For This Useful Post:

RainbowSky  (23-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shinebrite View Post
    We do communion at home as we're allergic... He he bit funny but thought if throw that in there!! Lol

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)
    We do it at home too, whenever we feel so lead. We do it at church too though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    We do it at home too, whenever we feel so lead. We do it at church too though
    My father in law is pretty big on doing at home and we use to get together brothers sisters, grand kids and all do it as a family

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a great difference between catholic and christian theology and practice. It is not just a case of different denominations like baptist, Pentecostals ect. If your children do go to a christian church, the differences will be very confusing, your husband is not being close minded in that regard. I have seen many kids put into confusing positions because school teaches one thing and parents and church teach another.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mumsies For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shinebrite View Post
    Hah oh I just heard something about, like quite a few years back, those big white hats the big priests wear, do you know what the origins are? I heard they were pagan??

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)
    I hadn't heard of this shinebrite...gotta look it up...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
    Catholics believe that Jesus left authority with the Church to interpret the grey areas which would come up. Thus, in Acts, Sts Peter and Paul and other apostles began making decisions about what Jesus meant which later became Church Tradition. Catholics believe that St Peter's successor still has that authority.
    Thank you for your polite response, may i ask what 'grey areas' you are referring to?

ETA - also Paul and Peter based those decisions firmly on the scriptures tho, not their own ideas
    Last edited by ShanandBoc; 04-05-2012 at 01:45.