+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is $250 a week enough to get by on

Hi - I'm going on maternity leave next week, and we aren't in the financial position that I would have liked.
    After paying rent - my dh and I will only have $250 for bills and food.
    Is this enough to get by on until ppl kicks in??
    I'm starting to feel a bit of anxiety about it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends what your bills are

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by GothChick; 16-04-2012 at 21:23.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It wouldn't be enough for me, but I have lots of bills. It is dependent on each situation. Have you done a budget up?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our credit cards, loans, private health an all other insurances, electricity phone and au star is $800 a week so we'd be screwed. But if you only had electricity,phone, fuel and food is say it would be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have trust that you will figure it out. We spend $90 a week on our shopping, which includes $20 for nappies. We never went without, we had meat and vegies every night.

For me, when we were finally in a better financial position I used to get really mad at myself that we weren't more responsible with our money beforehand. We wasted so much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My bills per week are greater than that alone, my shopping bill $200 a week so no way,no how for me but I would suggest doing up a budget of all your bills and going from there, until you know how much your bills really are per week you won't know what is leftover for shopping?

Are you in a position to pay extra onto all your bills now and stock up the pantry full of staples and the freezer full of meat so all you have to buy is fresh fruit and veg?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That would not be enough in our situation. Our bills would be greater than $250 a week and usually a grocery shop costs me well over $100.

Are you eligible for any other Centrelink payments?

I hope you figure out something in the interim until the PPL kicks in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know its too late now but shouldn't you have thought about this months ago and made allowances and put money aside for the gap in your income?

Depending on your debts etc and you haven't over extended yourself you should be able to live.

I hope you can work something out until things get back on track, good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It could easily cover food... but it depends what your bills are.

We have loans and cars that need filling... daycare that needs paying... it wouldn't cover it for us.