+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Asperger's/autistic/high functioning.. possibly? 4 year old - other mum's with same?

Just really need to speak to other mum's who have aspies, autistic or high functioning kids..

my dd has had problems since she was little, she was always blank expressionless as a baby/toddler, she never used to make eye contact (and still isn't great), we had her hearing tested as he never noticed people coming in the room till we turned her to face them, she used to hand flap really badly, she didn't start talking (she just grunted) till she was around 2.5 (she said mummy for the first time at around 2.5/3) but she chats away fine now.

at 2.5 the speach therapist said she was possibly autistic as she was showing all the signs but then her speach came on and she doubted this was the case.. they said she was too young to test at that age.

she's 4.5 now and we're still having strange problems with her.. she has obsessions about things like curtains (she freaks out if they blow in the wind) or loud noises (she freaks if she hears one of those blenders in the shopping centers or a lawn mower). I took her back to the pediatrician and they said they would look into it with the other specalists at the health center.

last 4 months she's been having toilet problems (after been fully trained), first it was problems wiping her bum, then she started pooing her pants once or twice a week, then it went to 8 or 10 times a day!! her kindy is so concerned (she doesn't do it as much as kindy just every now or then) but they found her eating her poo and smearing it on the wall and were very concerned. she started weeing and pooing her pants this easter weekend (she's never weed before). this week at kindy she pood her pants 5 times in a row (she ran out of pants).

I'm at my wits end.. don't know what to think. I keep looking back at asperger's or high functioning and keep wondering but my pediatrician said it's unusual for those type of children to revert to toilet training problems but I keep reading differently. she has an appointment with the pyschologist but my pediatrican has it in her head (I think) that there is nothing wrong or it's all in my head/I didn't bond with her or something weird but all my family and now even my kindy are concerned.. I now have been referred to the local children's help center place and they will do a full look at her so hope between the two areas we get somewhere.

she rarely shows emotions like sadness or happiness etc.. but can show anger.. however you could get as mad as you like with her and she won't react like my other children do. she doesn't understand what she's doing I don't think and I've tried all sorts of incentives but nothing works.. she just doesn't either understand or care. she behaves very strangely.. she often touches your face or arms while you're telling her off.. she has a couple of little friends at kindy and kisses their lips or strokes their faces (lots of stroking).. something sensory going on but nobody can help me so far.. so stressed about it.

she also will wander off if not watched.. she gets up to all sorts and I can't tell if she's naughty or what the story is.. but I worry about my exhusband (he's not seeing them much due to his own mental health problems but when that issue gets sorted he will be able to take them on their own). I really don't trust him to keep an eye on her (and if she's pooing and weeing her pants he probably won't take her). I wondered if she was upset not seeing her dad much in the last month or so but she never asks about him and when asked doesn't really say anything.. she doesn't seem to understand any of that.

I told her tonight if she pood her pant in bed tonight she would lose her night light and she agreed.. yet she just pooed her pants a few mintues ago and I had to sort her out again.. so removed her night light and she went crazy. she's calmed down now so I think she might understand but why does she keep doing it?

advice...??? desperate??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would have her assessed. She won't be diagnosed with Aspergers but possibly Autism because of the language delay (this is the main difference between the two). I've worked a lot with kids with special needs and you can get a diagnosis at 2. I would get onto now as she would be eligible for gov funded services before the age of 7. I've seen kids who have regressed in their toilet training and the poo sounds like a sensory issue too.Best of luck. I think you need an answer either way!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MinnieMouse81 For This Useful Post:

onkybear  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    On my phone at work but will post a bit of my experience with my son later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by murrythecat View Post
    Just really need to speak to other mum's who have aspies, autistic or high functioning kids..

my dd has had problems since she was little, she was always blank expressionless as a baby/toddler, she never used to make eye contact (and still isn't great), we had her hearing tested as he never noticed people coming in the room till we turned her to face them, she used to hand flap really badly, she didn't start talking (she just grunted) till she was around 2.5 (she said mummy for the first time at around 2.5/3) but she chats away fine now.

at 2.5 the speach therapist said she was possibly autistic as she was showing all the signs but then her speach came on and she doubted this was the case.. they said she was too young to test at that age.

she's 4.5 now and we're still having strange problems with her.. she has obsessions about things like curtains (she freaks out if they blow in the wind) or loud noises (she freaks if she hears one of those blenders in the shopping centers or a lawn mower). I took her back to the pediatrician and they said they would look into it with the other specalists at the health center.

last 4 months she's been having toilet problems (after been fully trained), first it was problems wiping her bum, then she started pooing her pants once or twice a week, then it went to 8 or 10 times a day!! her kindy is so concerned (she doesn't do it as much as kindy just every now or then) but they found her eating her poo and smearing it on the wall and were very concerned. she started weeing and pooing her pants this easter weekend (she's never weed before). this week at kindy she pood her pants 5 times in a row (she ran out of pants).

I'm at my wits end.. don't know what to think. I keep looking back at asperger's or high functioning and keep wondering but my pediatrician said it's unusual for those type of children to revert to toilet training problems but I keep reading differently. she has an appointment with the pyschologist but my pediatrican has it in her head (I think) that there is nothing wrong or it's all in my head/I didn't bond with her or something weird but all my family and now even my kindy are concerned.. I now have been referred to the local children's help center place and they will do a full look at her so hope between the two areas we get somewhere.

she rarely shows emotions like sadness or happiness etc.. but can show anger.. however you could get as mad as you like with her and she won't react like my other children do. she doesn't understand what she's doing I don't think and I've tried all sorts of incentives but nothing works.. she just doesn't either understand or care. she behaves very strangely.. she often touches your face or arms while you're telling her off.. she has a couple of little friends at kindy and kisses their lips or strokes their faces (lots of stroking).. something sensory going on but nobody can help me so far.. so stressed about it.

she also will wander off if not watched.. she gets up to all sorts and I can't tell if she's naughty or what the story is.. but I worry about my exhusband (he's not seeing them much due to his own mental health problems but when that issue gets sorted he will be able to take them on their own). I really don't trust him to keep an eye on her (and if she's pooing and weeing her pants he probably won't take her). I wondered if she was upset not seeing her dad much in the last month or so but she never asks about him and when asked doesn't really say anything.. she doesn't seem to understand any of that.

I told her tonight if she pood her pant in bed tonight she would lose her night light and she agreed.. yet she just pooed her pants a few mintues ago and I had to sort her out again.. so removed her night light and she went crazy. she's calmed down now so I think she might understand but why does she keep doing it?

advice...??? desperate??
    Look, from a the reading and researching and talking to parents of ASD kids I've done over the last 4 years in regards to my quirky undxd son , I would suggest you get a new paediatrician. You know what's going on, you're the mum and from what you've said I'd say you're instincts are spot on! Don't let this drag on, if you want any hope of therapies for her you need a dx b4 she turns 6.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    ok I am back, my son was diagnosed with ADHD at age 3, by age 4 I knew something else was going on. He was toilet trained both day and night at 2 and we have had no problems on that. He was terrified of loud noises, we went to see fireworks and I found him under the seat in the van covering his ears and rocking. He would line up his hot wheel cars down the hallway and spend hours going down the line touching them he had about 60 of them and if one went missing he knew and knew the exact one it was, he would flip not just normal upset he was absolutely distraught until we found it.

He will say what he is thinking even if hurtful, he has always been like this so we have gotten use to it. He does not get sarcasm at all, it took me awhile to stop using it with him because he takes everything literal example he dropped and broke a glass and I was frustrated and said "oh great, thanks" he said "your welcome mom" when he was 4 he would wake up at night and empty the contents of the fridge and line it up along the wall around the kitchen then go back to bed.

He didnt talk until he was 4, no eye contact, he has to smell everything, and wont eat certain food if he doesnt like the consitancy, he hates brushing his teeth because of how it feels on his teeth. he cant have tags on his clothes as they drive him mad.

He had to have meals at the exact same time every day or he would get upset, telling me its 12 time for lunch over and over. He does not transition well, Easter we went to a friends house and he was great but when it was time to go and transition to the car he got hyper, loud and ran around then hit his sister . we can not tell him what we may do because if it doesnt happen he loses it, cant even say maybe because then he thinks it will happen and if it doesnt he flips. He generally has no friends or he will have 1 and that is all. He would rather play video games and play with his lizard and spiders. His interest is spiders he knows everything about spiders.

It took a lot of pushing but we finally got to see a psych because the drs over there dont do well with parents saying they know something more is going on, but we know and so he was diagnosed as Autistic but never pin pointed where on the spectrum he was, she said because he has eye contact well that was after 2 years of working with him, he use to turn his back to talk to people.

When he was a baby we could not hold him, he would scream, we had to prop his bottles up and change him very fast, he preferred to sit by himself in a car seat or bouncer, he still doesnt like to be touched. Like your DD he would just sit blankly and he was happy like that. It broke my heart because I always wanted a son, and I got my son but I could hold and love on him and to see him just sit there alone was sad to me but it was what he needed.

If you have any questions feel free to ask if you think I could be of help, its so tough when they are in their own little world.