+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    No.

I find almost everything the US does quite concerning. Since they are still (for now) the hegemonic power in the world, they are able to influence everything. However, it isn't generally religious ideas they are able to push forward through the world.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Regina, out of curiosity - do you know if they teach it as fact along side of evolution or inplace of?
    When I went to school they taught evolution and then taught some elieve in creation then they taught that some believe in created evolution that god created the world etc and things are constantly evolving I liked it I could then choose what made sense to me

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lettabean View Post
    Yes I would alongside everything else. Part of scientific stuff that is taught in schools has been disproven such as carbon dating yet they still teach that. I believe in creationism and think it should be taught alongside evolution.
    Erm, really?! Can you please elaborate?

Carbon dating has been repeatedly tested to demonstrate its accuracy. I'm curious to know where you have pulled that one from.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (13-04-2012),MilkingMaid  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Erm. No. No I wouldn't support it.

Creation stories have no place in Science classrooms. Despite what the Creation Science people will try to tell you

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (13-04-2012)

Guest Guest
    What do you mean by creationsism? What exactly do they want to teach?
    As far as I know, there are fundamentalist creationists that believe certain things that aren't necessarily accepted by main ****** churches. Infact catholicism and orthodoxy don't reject scientific facts. Most people 'I know' believe Gods hand is in creation of all things, but that also the world evolved over billions of years, and that the world wasn't literally created over 7 days etc etc. God created the world, not science. Science is the 'study' of our natural environment, it doesn't disprove Gods existence. Science can prove things evolved over billions of years and how things evolved or why, but it doesn't tell us how it came into existance. So far the only theory is the big bang. So I don't see why children in religious schools can't learn God created all things, everything exists because of God, and also learn in science class how things evolve and grow and work. Learning this doesn't mean your learning God doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Lily of the Nile; 13-04-2012 at 12:19.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (13-04-2012),share a book  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I believe that God created what needed to happen in order for the big bang to happen. I believe things have evolved over the billions of years and I'd have no problem in DD learning my beliefs at school, how the world has evolved and the science behind how those things have evolved.

I would however have a problem if I did not believe this and she was being taught it.

I would have a problem if they were teaching her that the big bang was merely a huge coincidence etc...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    When I went to school they taught evolution and then taught some believe in creation then they taught that some believe in created evolution that god created the world etc and things are constantly evolving I liked it I could then choose what made sense to me
    That sounds good to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    God no. That is ridiculous.

Carbon dating is BS? Someone watched Pell on Q&A..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Carbon dating can only measure the life of dead objects that decay, and can only go back about 40,000 years.
    It had it's problems, so did other tecniques that followed... 200,000 years was the max people could date 'things', and these techniques couldn't date inorganic objects.
    Dating ores is what gives us the age of our Earth.
    Meauring Lead - Urainium ratios in rocks found on Earth and in meteorites that had landed on Earth.
    Clair Petterson worked for 7years meausuring samples and specimens - he came up with 4,550ma (plus or minus 70 odd million years) -- this figure is obviously still trying to be worked out.
    (that was in 1953 - according to the books I've read, so it's only a fairly new dicovery in teh scheme of things, and hasn't been 'set in stone' obviously, because that's not the way science does things )
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 13-04-2012 at 12:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    What do you mean by creationsism? What exactly do they want to teach?
    As far as I know, there are fundamentalist creationists that believe certain things that aren't necessarily accepted by main ****** churches. Infact catholicism and orthodoxy don't reject scientific facts. Most people 'I know' believe Gods hand is in creation of all things, but that also the world evolved over billions of years, and that the world wasn't literally created over 7 days etc etc. God created the world, not science. Science is the 'study' of our natural environment, it doesn't disprove Gods existence. Science can prove things evolved over billions of years and how things evolved or why, but it doesn't tell us how it came into existance. So far the only theory is the big bang. So I don't see why children in religious schools can't learn God created all things, everything exists because of God, and also learn in science class how things evolve and grow and work. Learning this doesn't mean your learning God doesn't exist.
    This ^^ I have no issue with theories being thrown around as to how it all began, including God or whatever.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (14-04-2012)