ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    that is the 'theory' according to 'creationsists' ?
    The curriculum does not state how old the earth might be. Maybe in high school, but not primary school. Just a basic outline of theories.

But it's late, and I won't argue our school curriculum with someone who has no idea what the kids are taught.

In answer to the OP, no I do not support that, but have come to expect that of the US and try not to think or concern myself with any of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The law is only giving schools permission to teach it, it does not make it mandatory nor does it preclude evolution being taught to the students. Some schools will probably embrace the new law and some will ignore it.

It also allows schools to question things such as global warming - there is nothing wrong in examining different perspectives and I would encourage balanced education rather then trying to limit what can be explored in the classroom.

It will probably be challenged in court anyway given how strict the USA is about religion in any form being taught in public schools.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (14-04-2012)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    At our school they learn about creation, but right from Prep they learn about dinosaurs, evolution, space exploration, discuss the possibility of a planet like ours suitable for sustaining life, talk about evolution in terms of other planets and how evolution may have occurred in similar, yet vastly different planets to our own.

Christians are not all backwards idiots
    That's how they teach in my kids school too, except I'm not sure about the life forms on other planets stuff.

How confusing for a child to be taught in one breath that the world is only 12,000 years old and then in another breath that it is billions of years old.
    I've recently been reading a book called Scientific Facts in the Bible. In it I can't find a time that they say the world has been around from a Bible perspective (as the first seven "days" were not days as we know them), but there also seems to be conflicting theories on how old the world is from an evolution perspective.
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 12-04-2012 at 23:37.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

share a book  (12-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    do you mean both evolution and creation were taught in the same light - as stories?

(sorry it's late here)
    No, science (evolution etc..) was fact, creation/old testament were stories.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (12-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

felicita  (13-04-2012),Mod-pegasus  (12-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hell No.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd go against it.
    Pretty sure I read this, they were trying to make it law like 2years ago. they wanted to abolish evolution and if they had to teach evolution they were going to say that it was fiction.

I went to a Christian school. we learnt about the dinosaurs and evolution slightly, they didn't push creationism and only taught from the 'good news bible' instead of the old testament which had the story of eve, Adam, god creates earth etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They still said 'god created the earth' BUT they would mention the dinosaurs etc so I think they were pretty much saying god started it and planned for evolution to take place.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahpez For This Useful Post:

share a book  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Loveit!

-----

...sorry but, 'scientific facts in the bible'? *cringe*

The people wanting to leave the door open for questioning evolution / climate change etc in the states want to 'teach the controversy'.
    Seems here in Aus they are trying to squish the two together to make it work?
    and as far as I know 'most' in the field agree going on the evidence the earth is 'about' 4.5 - 4.6 Billion years old...give or take a year.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 12-04-2012 at 23:59.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (13-04-2012),Mulva  (13-04-2012)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Loveit!

-----

...sorry but, 'scientific facts in the bible'? *cringe*

The people wanting to leave the door open for questioning evolution / climate change etc in the states want to 'teach the controversy'.
    Seems here in Aus they are trying to squish the two together to make it work?
    I'm not going to start quoting the book. I always read or watch stuff before prejudging it. I may cringe after reading or watching - but I'm always open to learn

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (14-04-2012),share a book  (13-04-2012)