+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    the 'fairy tale' of Evolution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXxzk...eature=related

I'm watching tonight -

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'll post a better reply in the next couple of days (tomorrow I'm working then taking my kids to Mary Poppins - so not sure when I'm online), but I've been watching - and while I enjoy David Attenboruough it's struck me as funny that i've always watched his stuff but never questioned God's hand in all of this - so will be back here to discuss.

As I said - not likely to be tomorrow (but letting you know I haven't forgotten )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This thread has evolved some since I last was on here

I've read through and can't really remember what I was going to reply on, lol.... but I feel that I did stray from the original topic in my answers, and I did want to clarify my opinion.

I think, FITB, you mentioned that you felt like I was saying that creation should be taught in schools/ that I teach it in my school in place of evolution? Let me clarify.
    I believe that evolution should be taught in all schools. I believe that creation should be allowed to be taught freely in private schools, as they see fit, and feel it works with the curriculum (As is the current law in Austraila). In my school, we didn’t teach creation instead of evolution – we taught creation WITH evolution. We gave the children the evidence and facts, and gave them opportunity to discuss both evolution and creation together, to help them reconcile their beliefs.
    I think most people who believe in creation also believe in evolution, at least to some extent. I don’t know that anyone could deny adaptation or natural selection. The people who do not believe in creation seem to struggle with seeing how creation and evolution can fit together, but those of us who do believe in creation seem to have no problem in beleiving in both creation and evolution.
    Thanks for the pp who posted the lovely story on natural selection for my benefit J Let me clarify further: I absolutely believe in evolutionary processes. I absolutely believe in natural selection, adaptation to the environment, survival of the fittest. I believe in God, and I believe that he created the world. I ‘personally’ believe that he created the world in 7 days, and that he created Adam and Eve. So, although I don’t believe that we evolved from a common ancestor as other primates, I do believe that God created us and monkeys with very similar DNA. I am not trying to deny evolution, and I don’t think at any point that I said that I don’t believe that evolution exists – if I came across this way, it was because I was getting way off topic.

And seriously… the pp who blamed Howard on the fact that people believe in creation… really? I’m pretty sure that people believed in creation long before John Howard was prime minister. And I am certain that people will continue to believe in creation since then. I don’t really see how the Howard government can have anything to do with people believing in God or creation J

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (19-04-2012),share a book  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I believe that evolution should be taught in all schools. I believe that creation should be allowed to be taught freely in private schools, as they see fit, and feel it works with the curriculum (As is the current law in Austraila). In my school, we didn’t teach creation instead of evolution – we taught creation WITH evolution. We gave the children the evidence and facts, and gave them opportunity to discuss both evolution and creation together, to help them reconcile their beliefs.
    But in order to qualify as a SCIENTIFIC theory, a creationist view of the world would have to be falsiable. And I don't think this is possible. Therefore it shouldn't be taught in a science classroom.

By all means, teach creationism in a theological or philosophical setting but I can't see how it is science. Unless someone can offer a coherent example of how it could be falsified.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
    But in order to qualify as a SCIENTIFIC theory, a creationist view of the world would have to be falsiable. And I don't think this is possible. Therefore it shouldn't be taught in a science classroom.

By all means, teach creationism in a theological or philosophical setting but I can't see how it is science. Unless someone can offer a coherent example of how it could be falsified.
    While I see the logic in that, we must remember that the OP is talking about 1 state in USA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    While I see the logic in that, we must remember that the OP is talking about 1 state in USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I'm sorry I don't see the relevance of this? (maybe I'm just tired, sorry if I've misinterpreted)

The thread is about whether you would support teaching creationism in the science classroom - I think my post was on topic...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
    I'm sorry I don't see the relevance of this? (maybe I'm just tired, sorry if I've misinterpreted)

The thread is about whether you would support teaching creationism in the science classroom - I think my post was on topic...
    Sorry, yes, your post was on topic. I just think we base it on our expectation of our own education dept, when what we are saying is how it works here. This is in america, and would not be supported here.

and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Interestingly - after I got watching a few youtube videos - I came across Penn and Teller on creationism (think it was from 2006) (PS I love their approach even though it disagrees with me on this topic), and they showed a lot of stuff regarding (Think it was Tennesse) when they actually passed that creation should be taught in the classroom.

They'd also passed some rule which meant that they put stickers in all biology books saying that there were holes in evolution and so it wasn't absolute fact (or something to that effect).

They also then started comparing how some people came out talking about Intelligent Design (?aliens hand in creation) and how it's no different to creation.

Interesting stuff to see how some people view all of this - keeps the debate going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    'believe' in evolution - that phrase makes me cringe a bit.

'understand how evolutionary processes work' --- ..ahhhh, that's better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think where the line is blurred is we all (on this thread) seem to agree that we understand evolutionary process, and acknowledge that it occurs.

What the difference seems to be is the idea of a common ancestor - and the jury's still out on that - there is no 100% evidence that all life came from a common ancestor - and therefore it is that area where people are being asked to believe. The "belief" is that there is evidence yet to be found which will prove that all life came from a common ancestor.

So maybe if the issue is the "believe" in evolution - then it should be refined to whether you "believe" in one aspect of evolution.