+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Pegasus -- seriously if you would like to learn more - the video I posted a few pages back explains thing sreally well...and quite easily comprehension wise.

I'd love to hear what you thought of the video (goes for about an hour -- haha - when you have one spare )

I think you lean more towards a 'god that set the wheels in motion' type of God rather than teh literal Creationist God.
    But that is truly for you to decide...and really has nothing to do with proven theories of evolution and how they work

We humans ARE classed as 'Apes' we are part of that family.

We are also 'Mammals' therfore related to Whales.
    *hhOooOooowww aaaaRRrrrereee YooooUUuuUuu* < that was a Dory inpersonation to lighten the mood

Evolution doesn't produce a 'first' man, or a 'first tiger' ...it is a gradual process.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I am with you on the prehensile abilities Peg. I believe that they are suited to their needs, as evolution as developed them that way.

Just an off topicish fun fact, chimps and humans are closely related enough to have blood transfusions.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Interesting to know Ana - the point is - there are facts and if chimps and humans can share blood - amazing - I also know pigs and humans can share skin and there are other things. However, I don't believe this is definitive proof of a common ancestor and also does not dispute creation.

Thanks for a bit more info on the idea that where we differ is the idea of first man 5ITB.

The fact is that my beliefs are that there is a creationist God. However, I don't deny that aspects of evolution occur. The examples that CTM gave (eg. businesses etc) change and adapt are prime ones. In fact a ground level of my profession is acknowledging change and adaptation - which is what I do when I work out what i'm doing when treating people with disabilities etc.

I think you've taught me some stuff about evolution, so I'll leave you with a thought about God and creation - God is not up there playing games with us - he created us, with free will so we shape what happens. Some people believe in fate and karma and the like. A lot of Christians (myself included) believe things happen for a purpose. The purpose is God's part in it all. The rest is the journey to get to the purpose.

I will go and watch your video (later - I have another vid to watch tonight - off for some light entertainment - although I'm not sure how "light" Water for Elephants is). I watched another of your videos (think it was in the Easter thread) which I found in quite a bit of conflict with Christian thoughts as in the third part - it described Christian thought as something far removed from any of the churches i've visited, sermons I've listened to, conversations with other Christians I've talked with, books I've read etc. I didn't comment on it due to this.

I do acknowledge it's hard to get a truly bipartisan account to help learning. The accounts I've seen which are put out by atheists are sometimes very anti Christian.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would honestly like to hear what you think of it

The link I posted in the other thread was, yes..I admit - adding a bit of controversy 'against' christians.

The video in this thread - doesn't discuss religion at all except for at teh very beginning it acknowledges that it won't be discussing it .
    It doesn't try to discredit 'God'...it just explains how evolution works.

I do get that your beliefs create conflict, and I appreciate that

and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm more inclined to watch this one now you've preempted it by saying it isn't against Christians. I also preempt that I am steadfast in my faith.

I hope to show that I am open minded in that I am willing to watch videos etc, I'm also okay with having a bit of fun (ie. TMBG)

And I certainly acknowledge it's rare for a thread with both religious and non religious people posting to get over 20 pages without problems.

(maybe it's because i'm a mod )

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I However, I don't believe this is definitive proof of a common ancestor and also does not dispute creation.
    Wasn't trying to do either of those things. Just a fun fact.

Also, the chimp blood thing doesn't prove creation. I can't even begin to see how it would.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ana -Sorry if it seemed as if I was trying to say that the fact that we can share chimp blood proves creation - no idea where that came from - I definitely wasn't trying to say that. I totally agree - a very fun fact

I think the whole gamete of how different entities share this universe (like the chimp blood and pig skin stuff interacts) is just amazing and doesn't prove or disprove either theory.

I'm just glad that we're all able to share amazing facts about this amazing world that we live in and how different species interact to the benefit of others.

(Obviously I've just finished Water for Elephants - and while it was a lovely love story - I certainly cringed at the way human nature is depicted in this story and it showed how old school circuses had to be outlawed - totally off topic, but the way the humans tried to master the animals and also other humans almost made me turn it off but I had to watch till the end).

Now I'll go back and search for your video 5ITB

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post

Again, I blame HOward for the lack of attention given to education.
    I was just going through this thread looking for 5ITB's vid link - but then found this - and have to ask - you blame Howard for the lack of attention given to education?

I find that totally out of the blue. Education is currently a state issue and therefore the fact that Howard was a Prime minister is nothing to do with whether evolution or creation or science, or maths or science, or english or social studies or home economics or whatever was part of the curriculum.

Most of my education was undertaken under Labor rule -I see this as nothing to do with what is in this discussion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Ana -Sorry if it seemed as if I was trying to say that the fact that we can share chimp blood proves creation - no idea where that came from - I definitely wasn't trying to say that. I totally agree - a very fun fact

I think the whole gamete of how different entities share this universe (like the chimp blood and pig skin stuff interacts) is just amazing and doesn't prove or disprove either theory.

I'm just glad that we're all able to share amazing facts about this amazing world that we live in and how different species interact to the benefit of others.
    That's cool, it was late and we were all tired

Pretty sure they can also use cow parts for heart valves and they already use pig's blood for blood products (brother is a haemophiliac).

I too think it is great we can talk about this stuff. In fact, I am going to start a thread just so we can talk fun sciencey stuff

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (15-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you get time to watch Pegasus??

Not sure if it would have told you stuff that you didn't know already?