+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    To be honest, I think that whoever wrote genesis would be laughing their heads off if they could see us today, thinking that it was meant to be taken literally in the days of the hubble telescope, heart transplants & genetic engineering.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    There is no way to reconcile our current level of scientific understanding with creationism. Therefore, anybody who is taught creationism is put into a position where they must compromise their intellectual acumen in order to accept creationism, or they are forced to accept clearly ridiculous statements (god planted the fossils for some reason, god fiddled with carbon dating, etc).

This is the true danger to me - I cannot see any way in which someone can believe in creationism without it impairing their capacity for critical thinking.

IMO.
    I mentioned this earlier, that many people DO think that it's dangerous and scary to teach children a range of ideas and encourage them to use critical and analytical thinking. But I don't want my child to blindly accept what others have fed them. I'm not afraid of them being taught different ideas.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Regina my daughter goes to a state school, where she was illegally placed into the RE (religious education) class and told by the volunteer christian 'teacher' that evolution is wrong and that humans cant have come from monkeys.

The only religious education class available is christian. I have never heard of anyone in any state school receiving information about any other religion in the religious education period.

I spent 2 years of my life studying molecular genetics and I don't think I will ever get over the horror and anger of having my child taught *at school* - a place of education - that evolution is wrong.

Fortunately my daughter knew it was rot, but what about the other 20 odd children in the class?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Catholics, well most Id say accept evolution...and try to make them work together.

Creationists don't accept evolution and try to prove it wrong, not by providing evidence, but by poking holes.

That is the difference.

The link I provided a few posts ago explains, very simply, evolution.
    I'd happily go with the ' god set the wheels in motion' claim, but to teach that a supernatural being created life 'as we see it today' in that exact physical form is taking a huge step backwards...'creation science' has no place in science classroom.

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I mentioned this earlier, that many people DO think that it's dangerous and scary to teach children a range of ideas and encourage them to use critical and analytical thinking. But I don't want my child to blindly accept what others have fed them. I'm not afraid of them being taught different ideas.
    You've missed the point entirely Regina. I'm not sure if it's deliberate.

Being taught that creationism is real is not 'being exposed to a different belief'. It's .... *being taught that creationism is real*.

There is no way to reconcile this with current scientific understanding about our world and universe.

Therefore, you cannot ever progress intellectually in terms of scientific understanding while you think that universe is 5,000 years old and that women came from a man's rib.

You just can't.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Benji  (14-04-2012),FiveInTheBed  (14-04-2012),Witwicky  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Re other countries ...'pan gu' is the origin myth' of China.
    They don't teach that story as cute as it is in science classrooms in China....

And I'm pretty sure China are 'up there' when we start talking smarty pants

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Regina let me explain it another way.

There is no way you can teach a child that creationism is real AND teach them about science, physics, the universe and the natural world, and expect them to be able to reconcile these ideas.

Creationism is fundamentally at odds with critical and logical thinking, in any person who has been educated about the natural world.

It is a creation myth, every culture has one.. hwether the goddess moma shat out the earth, or the earth is carried on the back of a turtle standing on four elephants - whatever.

But you cannot ask a child to accept the creation myth contained in genesis in this day and age and expect it to hold up if they are lucky enough to receive a rigorous scientific education.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post

The only religious education class available is christian. I have never heard of anyone in any state school receiving information about any other religion in the religious education period.
    As far as I understand, any faith can be taught in Religious Education in a public school provided student/s of that faith are a member of the school. It does have to be taught by an approved instructor of the faith, which would be up to each particular faith group to organise with the school.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Regina, I've just explained to you that my daughter who is NOT a christian was placed in a christian class and taught evolution is wrong.

Does this sound reasonable to you?

This happens to hundreds of thousand sof Aussie kids every week.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    ….So…. what does it mean, then, Witwicky? By posting that information, what are you trying to say, if not that people who believe in religion are less intelligent?

It is well known in the field of Education that IQ is an extremely inaccurate, outdated, and old-fashioned method of testing intelligence – it is not often used in Australia (we do NOT test the IQ of each student in the class), and it is rarely used except to ASSIST in the diagnosis of a disability. How many of you have actually had your IQ tested, let alone SEEN an IQ test? (And not an online ‘Test your IQ for free! Bullsh!t test, but an actual IQ test?) IQ tests are only legally accessible by very few professions. As PP mentioned, often the people with higher IQ’s are less able to function normally in society. I’ll say it again: it is an INNACURATE, OUT DATED AND OLD FASHIONED method of testing intelligence, and it is NOT COMMONLY USED in Australia to measure intelligence. So, lets put the IQ and religion thing to rest, hey Witwicky?
    I actually agree that the IQ is outdated, IF used alone. I have not said it wasn't. Reputable studies would (and do) include more than one element of intelligence testing. Further, they include several dimensions of religiosity which are measured and the inclusion of personality traits which have proven to be associated with intelligence (openness correlates with intelligence).