ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 223
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,037
    Thanks
    1,564
    Thanked
    2,936
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Until they find "the missing link" or the matter/antimatter big bang can be explained they are very different concepts to the theory of gravity.

    As for "teaching about fairy tales" -I think people who aren't Christian - miss the point that there is evidence to back up a lot of the bible stories - they are documented as events that took place.

    Until the missing link is found - some might think evolution is a fairy tale.

    Until someone can find a satisfactory way that forces evolved to have the matter/antimatter collide to cause the big bang - this could be told as a fairy tale.

    Isn't it funny how it can come down to your frame of reference?
    Archaeopteryx lithographica --- a 'missing link' that supports the theory of evolution.
    fossiled proof of feathers on a reptilian animal. Bone structure is very interesting too!
    We share 98+ % of our DNA with Bonobos - this is proof we are 'related' - this supports the theory of evolution.

    Do you know what conditions are needed for a fossil to come about? we are extremely lucky to have the fossils we have - and most of those show the size and shape of human ancestors' skull changing and growing, the spinal cord moving from behind the skull to below the base of the skull.
    (going from walking with all fours to bi-pedalism)



    Abiogenesis - proof that supports the theory of evolution. Inorganic matter under the right conditions producing organc matter.
    testable and observable.

    Genesis - inorganic matter (dirt) becoming organic matter (man) --- depending on if you take it literally or not.
    not observable and testable, only source of information is from a collection of stories written 2000 odd years ago, by one group of people.



    Matter and antimatter colliding isn't part of the theory of evolution.

    The Bible - Proof that people had religion, same as the Egyptian Heiroglyphs.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 14-04-2012 at 11:23.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

    felicita  (14-04-2012)

  3. #102
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyboys View Post
    Well for the record I have a post grad degree and 2 subjects off a masters but I don't think it's a competition and I don't think religious equals unintelligent. Likewise I don't think a degree equals intelligence, more often than not it is opportunity.
    I actually think religion is down to opportunity also, where you were born, your family and your community have a huge influence on religion.
    Exactly, it's not a competition and religious doesn't equal unintelligence. So maybe the person who keeps bringing it up ^^ should stop posting links and suggesting it.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

    Cinderella82  (14-04-2012)

  5. #103
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    By all means teach it, as long as they teach all the other religions beliefs too. Why is Christianity assumed to be right?
    The 1st testament is believed by all 3 major religions of the world. Unless children are taught to read Arabic or Hebrew the bible would be the easiest one to read those same stories that are in all 3.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

    Cinderella82  (14-04-2012)

  7. #104
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4,380
    Thanks
    4,454
    Thanked
    1,341
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    The reference isn't about it *lowering* IQ though. The studies explain that the higher IQ someone has, the less likely it is that they will believe in creationism. Likewise, similar studies have found that the higher education a person has (note: not IQ, but education), the less likely they believe in creationism.

    I've said it before and I will say it again (because it seems to get misinterpreted every single time) - this does NOT mean that people who believe in a god are stupid.
    I'm sorry but this really p!ssed me off. Out of respect for you, I'm not going to get into it. But this isn't cool.
    That's all.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

    Cinderella82  (14-04-2012)

  9. #105
    Witwicky's Avatar
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,629
    Thanks
    4,446
    Thanked
    3,496
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Until they find "the missing link" or the matter/antimatter big bang can be explained they are very different concepts to the theory of gravity.

    As for "teaching about fairy tales" -I think people who aren't Christian - miss the point that there is evidence to back up a lot of the bible stories - they are documented as events that took place.

    Until the missing link is found - some might think evolution is a fairy tale.

    Until someone can find a satisfactory way that forces evolved to have the matter/antimatter collide to cause the big bang - this could be told as a fairy tale.

    Isn't it funny how it can come down to your frame of reference?
    Whaaaat? I don't understand how anyone can suggest that evolution is a fairy tale?! The evidence of common descent, atavisms, ontogeny...there is overwhelming scientific evidence from a plethora of scientific disciplines. It's a fact.

  10. #106
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,037
    Thanks
    1,564
    Thanked
    2,936
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Witwicky - have you got a link to that study please that you could PM me.

    I'm interested to read what it says before jumping to conclusions, cheers

  11. #107
    Witwicky's Avatar
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,629
    Thanks
    4,446
    Thanked
    3,496
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCherry View Post
    I'm sorry but this really p!ssed me off. Out of respect for you, I'm not going to get into it. But this isn't cool.
    That's all.
    Why does it **** you off? I would like to discuss this with you. I do NOT think that people who believe in God are stupid?! I have reiterated that several times. I was merely explaining some studies which indicate the statistical level of education of those who believe in creationism compared to those who don't.

    I have extremely smart friends who believe in god and we happily discuss these studies all the time.

  12. #108
    Witwicky's Avatar
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,629
    Thanks
    4,446
    Thanked
    3,496
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Witwicky - have you got a link to that study please that you could PM me.

    I'm interested to read what it says before jumping to conclusions, cheers
    Sure, I'm on my phone at the moment but will PM you when I get on my laptop.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

    FiveInTheBed  (14-04-2012)

  14. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,037
    Thanks
    1,564
    Thanked
    2,936
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    for anyone interested in what the theory of evolution ACTUALLY presents.
    (it is NOT just - 'we came from monkeys')

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7tQI...source=message

    It's a video (I prefer to learn this way, some are big readers...I'm more visual and auditory )

  15. #110
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,054
    Thanks
    269
    Thanked
    1,053
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Why does it **** you off? I would like to discuss this with you. I do NOT think that people who believe in God are stupid?! I have reiterated that several times. I was merely explaining some studies which indicate the statistical level of education of those who believe in creationism compared to those who don't.

    I have extremely smart friends who believe in god and we happily discuss these studies all the time.
    There is some interesting discussion on those statistics which brings it into perspective a little.
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ave-higher-iqs


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 18:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
Innovations Sports PhysiotherapyWomen’s Health Physios who are able to assess and treat a wide range of Pregnancy and Post Natal Issues. We offer ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›

ADVERTISEMENT