+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Who's at fault?

A woman, pregnant with her 4th child, all with placenta previa, goes to the private hospital she is booked into due to bleeding at 30 weeks. She was sent home after everything seemed ok. Four hours later, her husband calls an ambulance as she is bleeding again. The ambulance arrives and after being rejected from the private hospital she was sent home from as they don't take this kind of emergency, and also the local public hospital next door due to no beds, was taken to another nearby public hospital that is not as well equipped to deal with this emergency, as ordered by the ambulance dispatcher. The woman stops bleeding in ambulance and is conscious all the way to hospital.

At the hospital, the woman has an emergency c-section, but has severe bleeding, also has cardiac arrest. The baby is taken to hospital with neonatal care. The mother is on life support and machines about to be turned off.

Hospital is trying to pass responsibility to ambulance, who were just following orders.

WDYT?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The private hospital for not facilitating a smooth transition of care.

Which hospital is pointing fingers at the ambo?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh my god. How tragic.

The private hospital, absolutely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh my goodness! Did this happen to anybody?
    I think the hospitals are responsible. It's ridiculous.
    A family friend of mine had her cousin lose her baby a few weeks ago because of the hospitals negligence. She was 1-2 weeks past her due date and was begging them to induce her. She had irregular contractions and couldn't feel her baby moving around as much. She felt unwell as well and knew something was wrong. The hospital kept turning her away, telling her to come back later. The third time they went there, her husband demanded that they induce her and deliver the baby. They delivered her baby and the baby had passed away because he had ingested meconium.
    This could have been prevented if they had listened to the mothers requests and trusted her.
    It's the hospitals fault.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, this happened. St George private, St George public and Sutherland (where the patient was taken by ambos)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yes, this happened. St George private, St George public and Sutherland (where the patient was taken by ambos)
    Oh my goodness. I had my bub at St. George Private. That's so scary and so sad.
    Wouldn't it be the obstetricians fault then? The midwives/nurses have to call the OB to let them know what's going on and then the OB calls the shots.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCherry View Post
    Oh my goodness. I had my bub at St. George Private. That's so scary and so sad.
    Wouldn't it be the obstetricians fault then? The midwives/nurses have to call the OB to let them know what's going on and then the OB calls the shots.
    Yeh, I dunno. I was just curious what other people thought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm studying medical negligence at the moment, and there would be so many factors to analyse there's just no way of pointing the finger easily.

Even when a tragedy happens, if everyone involved has used their standard industry practices then there would be no blame and noone to be held accountable.

It's also important to note that if negligence was investigated, its all about what people knew at the time, and does not consider any retrospectiveness. If the woman had stopped bleeding, had no signs of heart problems etc at the time and no history to suggest she would, then unfortunately this may be a tragic accident.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its hard to say, but I would say the government/health minister for not providing enough funding to staff beds at the public hospital. However it also depends on a multitude of factors including if she was even seen in the first place at the public hospital or if the ambos were just directed to the second public hospital without her having a proper assessment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg, I'm so sorry to hear, that's heartbreaking!

I'd want to look into what symptoms she had when they sent her home in the first place, especially since she had placenta previa. I'm assuming the first time she went there, she would've been seen by a ob/gyn?

I would assume it'd come back to the doctor/private hospital but I have no idea how that all works.

What a heartbreaking decision for the poor family/partner that she is on life support & to have to turn it off. Sending you heaps of hugs, that truly is devestating.