+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that's been the biggest shock for me - having a toddler that slept through then popping another baby out the refuses to sleep - arrghh - anyhows - dh has said he will do night duty tonight so maybe I'll get some zzzz's (crossing fingers) ..... (and toes)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    8-9 hours straight at the moment - I'm pregnant and with a 3.5yo, but I had broken sleep for the first 2 years with my son so am really enjoying good sleep.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    sorry trish - I didnt ask you.
    yes I know you didnt, but as I also get loads of sleep I thought you might be interested in more than one persons experiences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    yes I know you didnt, but as I also get loads of sleep I thought you might be interested in more than one persons experiences.
    Sorry Trish. Its just that you and I have similar approaches to baby sleep methods and I was curious to what the other PP did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    8 plus hours.

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I get about 4 hours all up , I go to bed about midnight or 1am , kids wake around 6:30-7 and inbetween that time they both wake constantly but I still get block of about an hour inbetween wakes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    Did she do that naturally or did you have to sleep train her?
    Hmmm well I don’t know if you’re asking me because you’re genuinely wanting to know, or you just want to tell me that I did it wrong – lol, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt!
    I didn’t ‘sleep train’, and DD slept through when SHE was ready – I didn’t force her or make her sleep through (Not like you can force a baby to sleep!)

However – I did do some things that I believe encouraged her to sleep well at night. I fed her at least every 3 hours in the day, unless she demanded earlier, so she usually had 6 feeds between 7:30 – 7:30. I made sure that each feed was a good ‘full’ feed, so if she fell asleep at the breast after 5 minutes, I roused her to feed until she was full. I followed a basic ‘sleep-feed-play routine throughout the day. So, from her waking time at 7:30, I would feed her, give her ½ hour ish play time/ mummy time, and then put her to bed awake. If she grizzled, chatted, or babbled to herself, I would leave her for a few minutes, and she would put herself off to sleep. If she cried, I would cuddle her until she was settled, & put her into bed awake but drowsy, so that she could go off to sleep in her bed. If she became upset again when I put her in her bed, I would cuddle her until she was asleep, or pat her in her cot, or rock her cot. I kept things dark and quiet at night time, and light and noisy during the day time, so that she differentiated between day and night. I didn’t have play time with her during the night, I would feed her and put her straight back to sleep. I woke her during the day time, for her feeds at least every 3 hours, so her day sleeps were 1 ½ hour naps – I didn’t leave her to sleep for, say, 5 hours straight in the day. I woke her up at about 10:30 for a dream feed, before I went to bed. At 3 weeks of age, she slept from the dream feed until around 6:30. Eventually, I was having to wake her up after 7:30 in the morning, so I dropped the dream feed & she slept 7:30 – 7:30 ever since, with the exception of a few days here & there where she has been sick. Some people would read that and feel like it sounds like a lot of work - and it's not for everyone. But for me, it came quite naturally and worked really well for us, and we all get a good sleep every night, so for me, it is definitely worth it.

Whew, that turned out to be more of an essay than I expected! I believe that it was a combination of these things, and also her personality, which helped her to sleep through at night. I was surprised when she began sleeping through so early, it definitely wasn’t an expectation that I put on her that she ‘should’ be sleeping through. I believe that good routine, guided by the child and following their needs, creates a child who is content and peaceful – she was rarely overtired, and rarely had to cry for her food. I believe that crying is a late sign of hunger, so I made sure she was fed regularly enough that she wasn’t hungry to the point of having to cry for it. My opinion of sleep habits in babies has been influenced by my training and also my work (I have a degree in Early Childhood and have worked and also taken part in research in the area of sleep and settling with infants), so I do have some experience and training in this area.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (12-04-2012),Kitkat13  (12-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    4 hours all up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Until the last week 8+ however now I'm coasting on 1-2hrs a night! So can't sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not enough!! :-p

Ds is a horrible horrible sleeper, animals sit on me, dp snores and I'm a night owl. Sometimes only 4 hours a night. Last night 2am til
    6am when dp left and ds woke up wanting daddy.