ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I found it a lot harder when the kids were younger, now it's a lot easier. We have egg and peanut to deal with (used to be dairy, egg, fish and peanut). At my playgroup we ended up just bringing fruit and sharing that (perfect for us as there was no fruit allergies). Could you suggest that to your playgroup, explain to them that you don't want to miss out and you don't want to put pressure on people to always remember what they can bring and what they can't so if everyone just brings fruit then everyone can be safe and happy.

With family it will probably take a few times of having to leave before it sinks in. Unfortunately a lot of people understand that he's allergic to sesame but don't comprehend that hommus has sesame in it. Could you give them a list of things to avoid while he's there? I know it sounds awful but I was always very forceful with my friends and family that my kids could DIE in front of them if we weren't careful. My kids know the risks of what could happen if they eat what they are allergic to and are very open in telling people. It often horrifies people when my 6 year old is telling them that is she eats egg she might die but it's a fact of life and something that's easily avoidable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just started my own playgroup for allergic kids, we are in the Hunter in NSW.
    I think its worth it if you really want to run your own group, its suprising how many other allergic mums have come out of the woodwork PM me if you want more info.

As for famililes, I always request they don't have eggs or nuts at family gatherings and have to remind them EVERY.SINGLE.TIME especially the eggs.

I feel for you, its hard to get them to think about something they don't udnerstand especially the older generation. I get so angry with my family. they just need education. it took awhile to sink in that someone eating an allergen then playing with or touching my child could cause a reaction.

show them the epipen and action plan, put the action plan up every time you visit and show them pictures of your child suffering from a reaction if you have any. or another child off the internet.

give them a list of foods that have treenuts and sesame seeds in them.

don't feel bad for 'putting them out' or 'making a scene' you have every right to provide your child with a safe environment. I know alot of mums who will just leave if its not safe, even with family.

I am in a facebook group that is great support, PM me and I can tell you the link. we also share links to information that would be helpful I am not allowed to post links on bubhub though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone!

I think I will start bring our food everywhere, and leave my in laws' place next time they serve foods DS can't have. Great advice.

1979nic, The grandparents have a list on their fridge with all the foods he can't have, saying hummus, yet they served hummus... Their excuse was that a guest brought it. DP asked for it to be put away. I think that currently I just can't trust them with DS. They do not listen. I told DP I am not going to leave DS with them unless I can trust them again which I doubt will happen - the last time I complained to them about giving DS foods he can't have my FIL told DP that MIL was upset by that!

Lizzymcfizzy, thanks. I might be the last person in the universe without a Facebook account... I did ask my playgroup about fruit only or at least no sharing food but so far it's been ignored :-( I might look into starting an allergy playgroup though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jake's mum View Post
    Thanks everyone!

I think I will start bring our food everywhere, and leave my in laws' place next time they serve foods DS can't have. Great advice.

1979nic, The grandparents have a list on their fridge with all the foods he can't have, saying hummus, yet they served hummus... Their excuse was that a guest brought it. DP asked for it to be put away. I think that currently I just can't trust them with DS. They do not listen. I told DP I am not going to leave DS with them unless I can trust them again which I doubt will happen - the last time I complained to them about giving DS foods he can't have my FIL told DP that MIL was upset by that!

Lizzymcfizzy, thanks. I might be the last person in the universe without a Facebook account... I did ask my playgroup about fruit only or at least no sharing food but so far it's been ignored :-( I might look into starting an allergy playgroup though.
    no worries, I can send you a copy of our flyer if you like. if you do start a group Id be happy to help somehow. we ended up having to call ours 'allergy aware' and its been a bit of a can of worms.

ps- if MIL was upset - thats her problem!! I get the same thing with my familiy and I'd rather get someones nose out of joint than have my child suffer something life threatening. MIL needs some subtle education!