+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Allergy and playgroup/friends/family etc advice?

DS1 was diagnosed a couple of months ago with tree nuts and sesame seeds allergy, his worse is cashew (measured 14mm in the skin prick test). We had DS2 just a couple of weeks after the test so we're still in a bit of a haze with everything.

At home we've got no issue, just chucked everything allergenic and we don't consume much processed food anyways. But I find it hard outside - went to a family dinner and even though they know about his allergies they still served food with nuts and sesame seeds. They don't get he's just two years old... They put a bowl with stuff with walnuts (his 2nd worse allergy) right next to his plate and I had to ask to keep nuts away from him. They must have touched him or used the same cutlery for nuts and other food because he now has bad eczema around his lips. We went to another family gathering and they had hummus with all the other dips (contains sesame seeds) and people dipped the same spoons into different dips! My FIL then asked me if it was ok to give my 3.5yo niece walnuts and put it on the table for everyone. No its not ok - I've had to stop her in the past from feeding him nuts, and they always play together. I understand not feeling safe in Playgroups/restaurants but I have feeling unsafe at my in-laws' place. You would think they'll be considerate enough with their own 2 years old grandson!

At playgroup I've asked others to put away nuts and not put it on the sharing table, and I watch him like a hawk when people bring birthday cakes they bought and have no idea what's in them.

I'm so sick of both watching him like a hawk, being stressed and terrified he'll consume nuts (he had very bad reactions with small amounts - swollen lips, hives, bubbling skin - and he's never consumed the nuts that tested as his worse allergies!). And I feel like a ***** always asking people to put food away yet angry with family members for not understanding that his allergies are serious and making almost no effort. I keep feeling he's not safe outside of home unless I watch him every second.

How do you do it? Does it get easier? I always have the EpiPen with me but I'm still so stressed and scared. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by jake's mum; 11-04-2012 at 21:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm 28 and still get my food cooked with dairy at restaurants after asking it not to be, so gone home with red itchy eyes, hives and itchy throat, then have a crap couple of days afterwards... It's horrible people are oblivious to allergies! I've known people to tell me they or their child has allergies yet the child will have the food in their mouth!!! Nuts are hard, I take a plate of food for my girls to parties for them to eat as they don't have gluten or animal products. But one of my friends has a boy with those allergies and no one ever takes his needs into consideration

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I take special food for DD where ever We go. Me and DH are also vegan (converted for DD ) so I cook Everything at home from scratch anyway as everything has some form of animal in it these days. My family are amazing DHs are sh!t so again I always take food for her.

Nuts is hard, most people just do not understand and I'm afraid you will be following him like a hawk until HE is old enough to know what he can and can't eat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We too take our own food most places, I look over the table and talk to the host to see what I need to be watching but our backup is always his box of goodies. Friends and family are pretty aware but we are from an allergy community so really we are somewhat lucky, and if in doubt most know to run it past me anyway. Ds will also ask, does it have wheat and knows to eat from his box. He also wears a bracelet with his allergens on it when out in public, if nothing else then for awareness.

We don't do playgroups, too hard. And day care have strict and clear instructions. After a steep learning curve with one day care our current one is just wonderful in comparison.

When eating out places we also take our own just in case and always ask how food is prepared. If in doubt then we don't eat from there. A lot of places like play centres let us bring our own food once I list his allergies. They understand that sometimes they just can't cater for everyone.

I'm not sure if it gets easier or if you just get used to it tbh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah yes!! The bracelets!!! I need to order some! You can get one that says wheat dairy and sugar!! Woop!

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to crash the thread but just wondering what are the bracelets? Is it just a medi alert or is there others I don't know about? My niece and nephew have allergies, our family and the in laws are aware but it's outside the family we need to be extra vigilant. My poor brother ate something then came home and kissed his daughter and she blew up, he was horrified to say the least, we all always check ingredients etc and we all do play group together so there is no worries there but a bracelet would be a great idea for when they are out other places

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.starallergyalerts.com.au/

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post:

Cluky79  (12-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shinebrite View Post
    http://www.starallergyalerts.com.au/

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)
    Brilliant thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go to Facebook and search " anaphylaxis allergy awareness Australia (a4) - support for families - great group of people who share their stories and even get together sometimes xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    DS is anaphylactic to eggs. And yes it has been hard. I cannot count the amount of times people have made comments or given us strange looks because the rest of us don't eat egg or keep egg products in the home. Family just don't seem to get that their eating eggs can impact on my child. Family do's and upset people were our life for a longtime. In the end we had to make a stand and if they intend to eat eggs whilst DS is there, we go home. If they order eggs (and yes it has happened ) we make a scene about how doing these things risk DS' life and we need to go home. We don't really do babysitters, but that also relates a lot to our parenting style. Playgroup was put in the too hard basket rather quickly but in the time I went I always made sure I came after the kids had eaten.

DS is 5 1/2 now and it has become much easier. He is very much egg aware. He always asks whether something new has egg in it, particularly if he doesn't get it from us. If he is unsure he doesn't eat it. The scary stuff is our own complacency. We have been at it so long that we have been caught out on a couple of things that normally would've been fine and weren't The other thing is never fall into complacency because of your epipen. They have been known to fail far too many times
    I understand about complacency! If you go to YouTube and search deans story anaphylaxis it's a great reminder video for friends and family or teachers. Xxoo